Streamer suggestion to go with Audiolab 6000A- Not the 6000N though!

Streamer suggestions to go with Audiolab 6000A. Not the 6000N though!

• 1 Sono Port

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 2 Bluesound Node 2i

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • 3 Cambridge Audio CXN v2

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 4 Yamaha WXAD-10

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Jester1066

Reaction score
Hi all. As per title, I'm looking for suggestions for a good quality separate Streamer to pair with my Audiolab 6000A.

A little back ground if you'll all allow me to indulge you! Over the past few years, I've put together the kit listed:

Samsung 55" Q95T,
Denon AVR-X4500H,
Audiolab 6000A - in HT Bypass.
Monitor Audio Silver 100, (Mosseco 6 Stands),
Monitor Audio Silver C350,
Monitor Audio Silver FX v2,
4x Dali Alteco C1's (Atmos)
Subwoofers - 2x SVS SB2000 Pro

I am very happy with all the elements of the system. My usage is definitely 50/50 between music & movies Hence the purchase of the Audiolab.

I feel the only thing missing is a good quality Streamer. I currently listen to music from my phone, connected by Bluetooth to the 6000A. Obviously this means interruptions if I get calls or messages. I don't have any CD's or physical media and stream all my music from my OH's Google Music account.

I'm going to do trials of all the major streaming services (Tidal etc) and am particularly interested in trying Dolby Atmos based music.

The streamers currently under consideration (no order of preference) are:

1. Sonos Port
2. Bluesound Node 2i
3. Cambridge Audio CXN v2
4. Yamaha WXAD-10

As you can see, there's quite a price variation in that list. I'm a complete novice with stand alone streamers, so this is where you guys come in! Which of the above would you choose.

I need to be able to connect the Streamer to both the Audiolab & my AVR - simultaneously (as I want to try Dolby Atmos Music as well as stereo streaming).

Hope this makes sense. Incidentally I'm not interested in adding a 6000N as the Play Fi App is woeful imo. Richersounds have recommended the Sonos Port, but I wanted to get other peeps opinions.

Any help/thoughts or alternative streamers appreciated. Thanks and apologies for the long post!

Edit: a poll has been created in the opening post, so please let me know which you'd have by casting your vote (as well as your opinion). TIA

Last edited:
Bluesound Node 2i

Next question :)

After a lot of investigation and toying with a Pi / DAC hat set up, I eventually settled on the node to go with my 6000A/CDT combo and am extremely happy.

Bluesound Node 2i

Next question :)

After a lot of investigation and toying with a Pi / DAC hat set up, I eventually settled on the node to go with my 6000A/CDT combo and am extremely happy.
Thanks!

I have to say, the more I read about it (the Node 2i), the more it appeals to me. Hopefully Richersounds will be open in 8 weeks, so I'll book some more demo time with some streamers.

@gibbsy Any chance (in your Mod role), you can add/tidy up my vote poll, to allow members to vote for which of the 4 streamers listed in my opening post they would choose?

I forgot to add it correctly when I created the thread. Sorry! Thanks in advance

@gibbsy Any chance (in your Mod role), you can add/tidy up my vote poll, to allow members to vote for which of the 4 streamers listed in my opening post they would choose?

I forgot to add it correctly when I created the thread. Sorry! Thanks in advance
Done. Happy voting.

You haven't mentioned if gapless is a requirement because not all of choices support it.

You haven't mentioned if gapless is a requirement because not all of choices support it.
Hi @larkone I didn't mention it because I'm so new to dedicated streamers, that I've not even a/b tested gapless vs non gapless. I've read about the differences, but I've not heard or experienced the difference if that makes sense.

I'm hoping when Non essential stores re-open I can go demo the players listed - plus any others recommended. This should enable to experience/compare them.

@Jester1066 It is simple, if you like albums that have no gaps - Dark Side of the Moon, opera, classical, dance/EDM mixes etc. etc. that do not have actual gaps between tracks because they flow from one track directly to the next. Without gapless support you will get a break in the music which can be really annoying and I mean REALLY annoying.

Kit that doesn't support gapless should have been left behind in the last century

@Jester1066 It is simple, if you like albums that have no gaps - Dark Side of the Moon, opera, classical, dance/EDM mixes etc. etc. that do not have actual gaps between tracks because they flow from one track directly to the next. Without gapless support you will get a break in the music which can be really annoying and I mean REALLY annoying.

Kit that doesn't support gapless should have been left behind in the last century
Thank you... This was my basic understanding too.

Now I don't listen to any gapless music.... BUT my partner does and despite saying she "won't use the streamer", I know she will! (She said the same with the Home Cinema stuff!).

So I guess I'm looking for gapless capabilities now too!

I am very happy with my Node2i and the only streaming service that does not have a good interface with it is Amazon Music. Suggest you read the following review and users' thread -
I use Spotify and Tidal but will drop the later when Spotify move to HD streaming.

I believe the Cambridge Audio does not play Tidal MQA -

@Toon Army Many thanks for your thoughts and links. I've just read the review of Node 2i and like what I read!

It's even got me toying with the idea of adding some of their pulse speakers in other rooms and creating a Bluesound Ecosystem of my own!

I never knew that NAD were part of the same group either & use BlueOS in some of their kit. This opens up possibilities in replacing my Cambridge Audio One bedroom system, which is connected to the TV via optical with a device that has Streaming built in which also uses BlueOS!

Absolutely. I can't believe it's not the first feature put into any streaming device.

I think some people have a misconception about what it is as well. I've seen posts on forums asking why would anyone want gapless but these people think it's making every tune mix into the next like a DJ.

@Toon Army Many thanks for your thoughts and links. I've just read the review of Node 2i and like what I read!

It's even got me toying with the idea of adding some of their pulse speakers in other rooms and creating a Bluesound Ecosystem of my own!

I never knew that NAD were part of the same group either & use BlueOS in some of their kit. This opens up possibilities in replacing my Cambridge Audio One bedroom system, which is connected to the TV via optical with a device that has Streaming built in which also uses BlueOS!
The node2i and it's bluos interface is,imho, fantastic, super easy to use and in my experience, I've had one for a year it's never ever let me down using wired or wirelessly. The headphone input isn't great though.

The node2i and it's bluos interface is,imho, fantastic, super easy to use and in my experience, I've had one for a year it's never ever let me down using wired or wirelessly. The headphone input isn't great though.
Cheers for your thoughts. It does seem like it ticks all the boxes. I know Richersounds will loan me a unit to home demo against others.

I don't really listen via headphones. But if I did, I'd most likely use the 2-way Bluetooth to connect them.

Personally I’d avoid the Sonos, but only because I don’t like them.

The CXN is way over priced for your system, if you’ve got that kind of spare cash I’d spend it on upgrading speakers.

The Node is, it seems, very fine indeed.

Bit for what you require I’d say the Yamaha is exactly what you need. First class sound by all accounts, and £350 less expensive.

Personally I’d avoid the Sonos, but only because I don’t like them.

The CXN is way over priced for your system, if you’ve got that kind of spare cash I’d spend it on upgrading speakers.

The Node is, it seems, very fine indeed.

Bit for what you require I’d say the Yamaha is exactly what you need. First class sound by all accounts, and £350 less expensive.
Thanks @Paul7777x I actually shortlisted the Yamaha based on your recommendation to another member in a similar thread he posted!

I'm lucky enough to have a Richersounds branch virtually on my doorstep. Around 95% of my gear is from them. They stock both the yammy & node 2i. Will no doubt be able to get both on home demo for a side by side comparison! Hopefully followed by a good deal on my final choice Streamer!

Thanks @Paul7777x I actually shortlisted the Yamaha based on your recommendation to another member in a similar thread he posted!

I'm lucky enough to have a Richersounds branch virtually on my doorstep. Around 95% of my gear is from them. They stock both the yammy & node 2i. Will no doubt be able to get both on home demo for a side by side comparison! Hopefully followed by a good deal on my final choice Streamer!

I’d hope they would given what you’ve spent there.

The Node has inputs and outputs that wouldn’t be necessary for you (and that necessarily add to the price) and I’d be surprised if streaming from it sounded better than the Yamaha.

Just noticed this in you post:

I've only just upgraded to the Silvers! I think they are very good. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at your opinion. 😂😉

I’d hope they would given what you’ve spent there.

The Node has inputs and outputs that wouldn’t be necessary for you (and that necessarily add to the price) and I’d be surprised if streaming from it sounded better than the Yamaha.
Dave (Senior Sales) has already anticipated my next request. It was him or suggested the Sonos Port - while I was demoing the Silvers!

I shall - as they say - let my ears decide. Another factor for me is ease of use & quality of software interface. Especially for my OH who is one of those "well I just want it to work" kinda people. Unlike me who's a "tinker with tech" kinda guy!

Last edited:
Just noticed this in you post:

I've only just upgraded to the Silvers! I think they are very good. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at your opinion. 😂😉

The silvers are by all accounts top class.

I merely meant that spending as much for a streamer as the CXN costs would be a misallocation of precious pounds.

I shall - as they say - let my ears decide. Another factor for me is ease of use & quality of software interface. Especially for my OH who is one of those "well I just want it to work" kinda people. Unlike me who's a "tinker with tech" kinda guy!

I haven’t used the Node but I’m familiar with the Yamahas app and it’s quite good indeed. Certainly simple to use.

Hi all. As per title, I'm looking for suggestions for a good quality separate Streamer to pair with my Audiolab 6000A.

A little back ground if you'll all allow me to indulge you! Over the past few years, I've put together the kit listed:

Samsung 55" Q95T,
Denon AVR-X4500H,
Audiolab 6000A - in HT Bypass.
Monitor Audio Silver 100, (Mosseco 6 Stands),
Monitor Audio Silver C350,
Monitor Audio Silver FX v2,
4x Dali Alteco C1's (Atmos)
Subwoofers - 2x SVS SB2000 Pro

I am very happy with all the elements of the system. My usage is definitely 50/50 between music & movies Hence the purchase of the Audiolab.

I feel the only thing missing is a good quality Streamer. I currently listen to music from my phone, connected by Bluetooth to the 6000A. Obviously this means interruptions if I get calls or messages. I don't have any CD's or physical media and stream all my music from my OH's Google Music account.

I'm going to do trials of all the major streaming services (Tidal etc) and am particularly interested in trying Dolby Atmos based music.

The streamers currently under consideration (no order of preference) are:

1. Sonos Port
2. Bluesound Node 2i
3. Cambridge Audio CXN v2
4. Yamaha WXAD-10

As you can see, there's quite a price variation in that list. I'm a complete novice with stand alone streamers, so this is where you guys come in! Which of the above would you choose.

I need to be able to connect the Streamer to both the Audiolab & my AVR - simultaneously (as I want to try Dolby Atmos Music as well as stereo streaming).

Hope this makes sense. Incidentally I'm not interested in adding a 6000N as the Play Fi App is woeful imo. Richersounds have recommended the Sonos Port, but I wanted to get other peeps opinions.

Any help/thoughts or alternative streamers appreciated. Thanks and apologies for the long post!

Edit: a poll has been created in the opening post, so please let me know which you'd have by casting your vote (as well as your opinion). TIA
Hi, I have recently discontinued using my CXN V1 as I now use the inbuilt steamer in my x4700h having moved from seriously listening to music to seriously watching movies! The CXN is a fantastic piece of kit and way underpriced for what it is. I can't recommend it highly enough and can only assume the V2 is even better.

Last edited by a moderator:
No love for the marantz NA6006? I have this and it's a nice unit, haven't heard the others though

No love for the marantz NA6006? I have this and it's a nice unit, haven't heard the others though
I'll certainly add it to my audition list. Thanks!

When I was auditioning streaming devices a couple of years ago, I went for the CXN v2 primarily as I was blown away with the sound quality but also because it had a USB audio input and at the time, my FLAC library was on a Vortexbox music server in the same rack.

I’ve since moved over to Roon for library listening and am still very happy with Spotify Connect on the CXN for ad hoc access to interesting stuff.

The CXN has some extra input/output options which may or may not be useful for you.

I run a lot of Sonos kit around the house but did not consider the port/amp option due to the limitations on bit depth and sampling rate.

I managed to get a good deal on the CXN from Richer Sounds in Guildford.

Enjoy your kit auditioning when you get a chance!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom