• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Streamer(non sonos) for 6 in ceiling speakers. Could I use a Sony 7.2 amp?

Glenagoolie

Established Member
Hi,

Looking for advice for a system to stream Spotify or YouTube Music through 6 in ceiling speakers (2 of which are in a bathroom).

I know of sonos options but hoping there's something reliable but not as expressive. Happy to go with lesser sound quality

Thanks
Ronan

larkone

Distinguished Member
Chromecast Audio connected to small Class D amps or some bluetooth Class D amps.

Glenagoolie

Established Member
Chromecast Audio would work, I've a spare one here. Is there a Class D amp that can run that many speakers (ideally 6)

Other idea is whether a Sony 7.2 AV receiver (ST DH820) could power all the speakers with the same level and source??

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Presumably the Sony is spare so essentially a free option? Does it have 7.1 analogue inputs on it at all?

I'm using the analogue 5.1 input of an old Arcam AVR with 2 Chromecast audios connected to the front main inputs and surround inputs of the 5.1 input with 2 pairs of ceiling speakers in 2 rooms.

D

Deleted member 24354

I have a similar setup in my kitchen, 4 ceiling speakers and 2 outdoor speakers. I just use a Denon AVR X2400H and a GeminiII sub. Works wonderfully, full Alexa Control, so I don’t even need to use the remote. Bought the 2400 of these forums for £250 less than 12 months old in mint condition. Plus I get HDMI switching and all the AVR bells and whistles, including DLNA and streaming services, Bluetooth, Airplay 2 and HEOS.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Have been following them for a while and took on a few units after ISE in Feb to trial and have to say they are a great option to SONOS with a fair few additional options in terms of form factor and features.

Joe

Glenagoolie

Established Member
Thanks for that Joe and James. Is there any reviews on the Tibo Joe, I couldn't find anything apart from a few Amazon comments?

Presumably the Sony is spare so essentially a free option? Does it have 7.1 analogue inputs on it at all?

I'm using the analogue 5.1 input of an old Arcam AVR with 2 Chromecast audios connected to the front main inputs and surround inputs of the 5.1 input with 2 pairs of ceiling speakers in 2 rooms.

Yea the Sony is sitting around free. Pic of all the inputs and outputs below. I'm wondering if I attached 7 speakers to the the center/left/right/etc will the sound come out at the same level at each?

Also any recommendations for ceiling speakers. 2 of which are for a bathroom. It's just a bedroom and bathroom so nothing fancy.

Attachments

• IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    991 KB · Views: 31

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Yea the Sony is sitting around free. Pic of all the inputs and outputs below. I'm wondering if I attached 7 speakers to the the center/left/right/etc will the sound come out at the same level at each?

Some AVRs have an "all zone stereo" mode or similar named sound mode which plays stereo to all speaker pairs connected. So in theory you could get 6 speakers working that way. It would be less than ideal though as you'd have all u speakers working with no individual control. There's no 5.1/7.1 analogue inputs available sadly..

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Tibo - I have been running a Bond 4, Bond 2 and Sphere 4 at home for the last month. I have not missed my SONOS system.

Tibo lacks the Desktop control option which SONOS offers - on the flip side Tibo has Bluetooth plus the portability of the Mains/Battery units.

Tibo relies on you being able to push buttons on the units - which was not an issue for me as I have all of my SONOS units 'on show' and used the buttons on the SONOS units, the Tibo is better in that it has user configurable Pre Set buttons on each unit.

Tibo is fantastic value for money.

My next task is to add more of the Tibo units to our web shop :)

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom