Streamer for Denon Dm41 dab

fildok

Novice Member
Hi, first post here.
I am clueless about streaming music. I have the above system and now realise that I probably should have bought the Ceol.
However, the DM41 sounds good so I would like to know what your advice would be for adding a streaming device.
The analogue input is being used for my turntable so only have digital inputs left,other wise I would have used my Echo Dot. I know the Denon is equipped with Bluetooth but want to avoid using it - especially as It’s not the latest version.
I know a lot of people on here use things like the Bluesound But adding a £500 device to a £230 hifi system seems wrong!
Thanks in advance

Moviola

Standard Member
Go for it! I have the Denon DM39 which is a great little unit. Previously I had all Naim gear but had to downsize and the Denon fitted the bill. I recently got into streaming and bought a Cambridge CXNv2 (Other streamers are available!) and it is incredible. The DAC in the Cambridge is better than the Denon and IMO resolves much more detail plus you get high quality internet radio which is way better than DAB. The Cambridge is connected to the analogue input on my Denon as the optical is used by the TV. No reason why you couldn't use the optical input. There is no coax on the Denon which might be preferable but optical is fine. Just out of interest how does your turntable sound thru the Denon? Presumably you have one with a built-in phono stage or a separate one?

HTH

fildok

Novice Member
Hi there,
I will research theses devices - thanks.
The DM41 is incredible for the money.
As for the turntable, it’s a 1975 Pioneer PL 12D and sounds superb going through a cheap Behringer phono amp

Moviola

Standard Member
Good luck with streaming. It took me ages to get into but really worthwhile. Also you can rip your own CD's and playback from a pen drive or hard disk. Saves all that effort of putting a CD in the drawer. 😀 BTW PL12D is a classic!

Mr Broon

Standard Member
Have a DM 39 and happily stream with a Chromecast audio - powered up via USB and fed into audio in jack. Works brilliantly.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I was going to suggest a Teufel Connector but they seem to have changed the name to Streamer & doubled the price.

What exactly do you want to stream, a paid for service, your own files, Internet radio?

If you're happy with what the Dot does you could simply add a 2-way phono switch to share the aux in.

fildok

Novice Member
I was going to suggest a Teufel Connector but they seem to have changed the name to Streamer & doubled the price.

What exactly do you want to stream, a paid for service, your own files, Internet radio?

If you're happy with what the Dot does you could simply add a 2-way phono switch to share the aux in.
I was going use Tidal or one of the others. I think the Dot is probably not good enough come to think. The Teufel looks interesting- are you sure it’s the same product as the Connector?

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
are you sure it’s the same product as the Connector?
I haven't looked in detail but there's only so much you can do with a product like this. The Connector was a bargain so maybe they've realised they were under-selling.

The Yamaha WXAD-10 is another budget option but again, only analogue out.

fildok

Novice Member
I haven't looked in detail but there's only so much you can do with a product like this. The Connector was a bargain so maybe they've realised they were under-selling.

The Yamaha WXAD-10 is another budget option but again, only analogue out.
Yes, pity about the Yamaha only analogue out - the Teufel is a tempting budget option though. Apparently, it has Bluetooth that it’s predecessor didn’t- only what I’ve read

larkone

Teufel Connectors have been discontinued and it is now the Streamer. More or less the same except for the doubling of the price and it has no Chromecast built in. Backwards step by Teufel.

fildok

Novice Member
Teufel Connectors have been discontinued and it is now the Streamer. More or less the same except for the doubling of the price and it has no Chromecast built in. Backwards step by Teufel.
I read that it has Bluetooth whereas the Connector hasn’t?

larkone

I read that it has Bluetooth whereas the Connector hasn’t?
The Connector didn't - you cannot buy it anymore. Chromecast would allow for better streaming quality than basic bluetooth, Tuefel told me they didn't include it because they were pushing their own streaming through the Tuefel app - well that's going to become an industry standard - not

Ascotbilly

Go for it! I have the Denon DM39 which is a great little unit.HTH
Agreed - I often wonder if I should've just bought the latest version of it a year or so back before buying all separates and getting upgrade itis.

I have an earlier DM30 something around 2003 with Mission M71 bookshelf speakers which I loved.

fildok

Novice Member
Agreed - I often wonder if I should've just bought the latest version of it a year or so back before buying all separates and getting upgrade itis.

I have an earlier DM30 something around 2003 with Mission M71 bookshelf speakers which I loved.
Well I’m surprised how good the DM41 sounds as an all in one unit,that’s why I think it’s worth putting a streamer with it.

jamieu

What streaming services do you use?

If TIDAL or Qobuz is enough could always build (more plug a board together and screw into a case) your own with a Rasberry Pi and a Digi hat which will get you a digital output (you only need a RPi + Hat + Case + PSU and not the extras like the heatsink or HDMI cables/switch) and then install an audio focused OS like Volumio, Moode or PiCorePlayer on it, which can be as simple as burning the image to a MicroSD card and booting up.

If Spotify will suffice then you could instead install HiFiBerryOS on the above RPi + Hat combo, which will get you Spotify Connect, AirPlay, DLNA, Bluetooth and a radio player — but no local music playback. Again, just a case of burning the image to a micro SD Card. You can also use this setup with a UPnP/DLNA supporting phone app like like Bubble UPnP or mConnect player to add TIDAL or Qobuz and support or just stream to it via AirPlay or Bluetooth.

Screenshot HiFiBerryOS.png

Last edited:

Ascotbilly

On my old DM3 plugged my iPod into USB and Aux setting. Is that still possible - if so just plug in phone / tablet & save cost of a "streamer" ?

fildok

Novice Member
What streaming services do you use?

If TIDAL or Qobuz is enough could always build (more plug a board together and screw into a case) your own with a Rasberry Pi and a Digi hat which will get you a digital output (you only need a RPi + Hat + Case + PSU and not the extras like the heatsink or HDMI cables/switch) and then install an audio focused OS like Volumio, Moode or PiCorePlayer on it, which can be as simple as burning the image to a MicroSD card and booting up.

If Spotify will suffice then you could instead install HiFiBerryOS on the above RPi + Hat combo, which will get you Spotify Connect, AirPlay, DLNA, Bluetooth and a radio player — but no local music playback. Again, just a case of burning the image to a micro SD Card. You can also use this setup with a UPnP/DLNA supporting phone app like like Bubble UPnP or mConnect player to add TIDAL or Qobuz and support or just stream to it via AirPlay or Bluetooth.

View attachment 1310757
I don’t use any service yet, although my Sky Q box has the Spotify app Which I have had a listen to. would signing up for their premium service soundas good as a dedicated streamer?

jamieu

I don’t use any service yet, although my Sky Q box has the Spotify app Which I have had a listen to. would signing up for their premium service soundas good as a dedicated streamer?
Spotify Premium is noticeable better quality than their free plan. Whereas I'd say the jump from Spotify Premium to a Lossless CD quality service like Qobuz or TIDAL is far more subtle/contentious.

If you're connecting your Sky Q box to your amp digitally then there should be no difference in quality over using a dedicated streamer — also connected digitally — to stream the same Spotify stream. The DAC in your amp will be doing the actual digital to analog conversion in both cases.

Jules Tohpipi

Hi, first post here.
I am clueless about streaming music. I have the above system and now realise that I probably should have bought the Ceol.
However, the DM41 sounds good so I would like to know what your advice would be for adding a streaming device.
The analogue input is being used for my turntable so only have digital inputs left,other wise I would have used my Echo Dot. I know the Denon is equipped with Bluetooth but want to avoid using it - especially as It’s not the latest version.
I know a lot of people on here use things like the Bluesound But adding a £500 device to a £230 hifi system seems wrong!
Thanks in advance
Just get a refurbished Chromecast Audio off ebay for £25. You'll also need an optical cable to plug into the back of your Denon. Then control the streaming from your phone. Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, BBC Sounds, you name it. Job done.

The optical cable needs to be a mini-Toslink to Toslink type. Something roughly like this

Last edited:

fildok

Novice Member
Spotify Premium is noticeable better quality than their free plan. Whereas I'd say the jump from Spotify Premium to a Lossless CD quality service like Qobuz or TIDAL is far more subtle/contentious.

If you're connecting your Sky Q box to your amp digitally then there should be no difference in quality over using a dedicated streamer — also connected digitally — to stream the same Spotify stream. The DAC in your amp will be doing the actual digital to analog conversion in both cases.
Thanks, that’s what was assuming. I will give it a go

fildok

Novice Member
Just get a refurbished Chromecast Audio off ebay for £25. You'll also need an optical cable to plug into the back of your Denon. Then control the streaming from your phone. Job done.

The optical cable needs to be a mini-Toslink to Toslink type. Something roughly like this
Another great idea,thanks Jules

jamieu

Just get a refurbished Chromecast Audio off ebay for £25. You'll also need an optical cable to plug into the back of your Denon. Then control the streaming from your phone. Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, BBC Sounds, you name it. Job done.

It may not matter, especially given how cheap a CCA is to the alternatives. But Spotify only supports 256kbps AAC streams via the Chromecast Audio as opposed to the full 320kbps Ogg Vorbis streams Spotify Premium is capable of via other routes. It effectively uses the Spotify 'web streams' rather than the 320kbs stream it can serve up to the desktop/mobile Spotify app or a proper Spotify Connect client.

SpotifyConnect.png

Last edited: