Streamer advice needed for home theatre

goodguys

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi And thanks for reading.
I am badly out of touch with the latest developments concerning home theatre and am looking to buy a streamer for local hard drive use only, to watch movies or listen to music.
Am thinking of the nvidia sheild pro but it appears to have a whole load of tv features which i will never use.
I need a streamer, preferably with internal hard drive capabilities, but this is not a must have, so i can connect to my screen using the streamers's hdmi out, then i have a usb dac for the audio.
Am willing to compromise as i am going to be buying a new dac soon anyway, so am open to any and all suggestions.
Please don't say receiver.
I have a 5.1 set up, with seperate pre and power amp.
Many thanks.

I recommend taking a look at Zidoo. I‘ve a Z1000 Pro and its doing a fantastic job for local media - audio and movies. I‘m using it to play dolby vision & its a roon endpoint for my system too.

I believe it supports external DACs although I haven’t tried it.

The Z1000 Pro has an internal bay for a for hard drive too.

Thanks! I will definetly look into that.
Are there any streamers with 5.1 analog out, or do they not make streamers like that, will save me having to buy a new dac
Thanks

Your taking about a media player to play locally stored movies and music as Ragtastical said above a Zidoo is a great player and will play dolby vision but if your not bothered about dolby vision a Vero 4k+ will play everything else I've been using one for years now and it's rock solid. To be honest if my Vero died now I'd get a Zidoo for the Dolby vision play back

Thanks for the zidoo recommendation. Do you know of any good 5.1 preamps or dacs to plug the zidoo into, anything that has done well in real world testing, i have a budget of £500. A lot of people use receivers, but i prefer seperates.
Many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom