Stream video from PC to XB1?

GaryMo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've had a brief Google of how to stream video from my Windows 7 PC to XB1 but I've stumbled at the point where the Win7 PC is supposed to find my XB1- it doesn't!
Has anybody got this working? Any tips?

Right click on the file, select 'Playto'.
If 'Playto' is not there, enable 'Network Sharing'.
MKV doesn't work. Almost all other popular formats do.

or you can go this route
the Skifta app will solve all your problems, as this free app can be the intermediary between your DLNA media server and your Xbox One.
All you have to do is install the app, search for the source and select the playback device: Xbox One will be listed, ready to receive your content. Then you identify the file and across it goes. We've streamed a range of content from our network to the Xbox One without a hitch

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi, you need to open windows media player, then click Stream, then More Streaming Options & add the Xbox-SystemOS to allowed in there.

Once added you can then select what you want to stream from your PC by right clicking the file, then select play to option to stream to Xbox-SystemOS.

Play To is there but no option to play to my XB1.
So, going into the streaming within WMP then more streaming options only shows a Samsung TV that I have, no XB1 and no obvious way to enable a search to add it.

Ok first make sure your Xbox One is switched on & connected to the same network as your PC. Then open WMP & in streaming options your X1 should be listed, if its not then I can only suggest looking on the Xbox support website.

Good luck.

Play To is there but no option to play to my XB1.
So, going into the streaming within WMP then more streaming options only shows a Samsung TV that I have, no XB1 and no obvious way to enable a search to add it.

You have to download the Xbox Music app on your XB1 and have it running before your PC it will see your XB1 for the first time, took me ages to figure that out, it was driving me nuts!

Excellent! Thanks very much guys, all working perfectly now I've downloaded the apps to my XB1!

Does the March update bring DLNA support? Can someone check that please? I constantly use tversity on my 360 and from what I hear I won't be able to do that on Xbox One.

There is already DLNA support, it just doesn't support browsing the media usin the xbox one, you have to push it to the console using another device.

Does the March update bring DLNA support? Can someone check that please? I constantly use tversity on my 360 and from what I hear I won't be able to do that on Xbox One.

If you have an iphone or ipad download skifta and connect it to wifi, i use it with tversity plays everything i chuck at it

Does streaming using play to only stream stereo audio?
Anything I stream only plays in stereo even if it has a 5.1 soundtrack.

Guys, why on earth does xbox one not have DLNA in it ? The software is ancient & I just want to stream films and music from my NAS hard drive.

I don't see why I have to push it at all

It does have dlna built in. What your asking for is to be able to browse and select the networks content via the Xbox, which is something I'm sure will be added. Though when they do add it I probably won't use it. I use my phones media player to listen to and watch content from the phone and the network all the time, so it makes much more sense for me to use my phone to push the content from phone or pc to the Xbox.

it would be a nice to have but I dont really miss it, only thing I would like back is the Music via Nas or PC and streaming in the background.
For videos and Photo's I have dedicated Media Players or Plex but would really like to be able to stream my music as that was used on a daily basis on the 360. Add that to X1 and I will be a happy man !

Yeah, I stream music to my Xbox One quite a bit now, but while playing racing or football games I like to stream music or podcasts, but the fact the music player has to be snapped at the side too do this is preventing me from doing so at the minute.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom