Question Stream Roon and Tidal to Yamaha 1060

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Slash21, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Slash21

Slash21
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys,

I'm using Roon and streaming to my Yamaha AV. Somehow it's using Airplay on the amp and I suppose this limits it to 16 bit. Is there any way to stream higher quality files (i.e. FLAC) to the Yamaha amp?

The Yamaha's interface to play my NAS music files is just super slow and clunky. I googled a bit and found a few products that can be like Raspberry Pi and etc. Before getting one, I'd like to know if there is any way to make Roon use the Server stream (In yamaha terms), or I have to get a Raspberry?

Thanks.

2. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    The Yamaha RX-A1060 AVR supports the Yamaha MusicCast audio network streaming system. Last I heard MusicCast devices can also be used as industry standard UPnP/DLNA network streamers. So you should be able to use your Yamaha with audio files supplied by a UPnP/DLNA media server (eg the excellent MinimServer) and its playback controlled by any UPnP/DLNA controller app (eg the BubbleUPnP Android app). However, bear in mind gapless playback may not be supported by the Yamaha when streaming under UPnP/DLNA, even though it does support gapless under MusicCast - see:
    Yamaha MusicCast and Synology NAS

Unfortunately, Roon does not support UPnP/DLNA, let alone Yamaha MusicCast. The only network streaming systems that Roon supports, other than its own RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) system, is Apple's AirPlay and (curiously) the old Logitech Squeezebox streaming mechanism.