Stream - Media Centre / On Demand Content

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by contemptx, Jan 13, 2008.

1. contemptx

contemptx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK,

I have been reading through and first of all I was just looking for something that was able to Play / Stream .MKV files

There are a few boxes but I have narrowed it down to the following boxes.

Netgear EVA8000 (using New Beta Firmware)
    TVIX M-4100SH / TVIX M-6500A

Now my question is which of these boxes would also support

Media Centre e.g. Online Spotlight or other On Demand Content?

Example:

If I Install Windows XP Media Centre on my System can these boxes connect with Media Centre to display Online Spotlight Content?

Also.

Anyone know of a good On Demand service (available to the UK) via the internet which these or even my PS3 would support?

Thank you for your time.

2. GeoffreyS

GeoffreyS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question. Yesterday I received a TIVX 4100 from Pixmania (merci beaucoup, guys, the instructions were in FRENCH) and initial impressions are good: it plays a good range of files from my networked PC on to my TV in another room, and navigation is generally very easy.
    However it doesn't look like it will manage On Demand TV, such as 4oD from Channel 4, which licenses each download and controls it via its downloading software, thus tying it to the PC. It is therefore the PC that plays back the content on the TV physically connected to it.
    Not what we want really, is it?
    However, I suspect that convergence and market forces will mean we have to have an Apple or a Microsoft in the living room.:suicide: