Stream HD from PC to TV, wirelessly - Ruckus?

Have you tried streaming DVD ISO's on the Ruckus? I'm tempted to try it with the XBMC but everytime I have in the past its failed miserably..

out of interest how did you guys work out the actual thruput you are really getting?

I've been mucking around with the positioning of my 11g antenae to up the transfer rates, managed to get it up from under 1Mbps to around 6 so far!

All I'm doing is timing how long it takes my Xbox using XBMC to display a large picture, so not the most scientific way!

Regards,

Greg

You can get a rough fix transfering a file of say 100Mb between computers, but really to quote these kind of acheived data rates you need to measure both TCP and UDP and of course you need to know which protocol is used for which transmission and whether you're multicasting or unicasting.

In simple terms TCP is the normal handshaking protocol that you use for transfering files packet by packet, it sends a packet, checks it, resends if not perfect, etc. Hence, there is a lot of data extra to the acual file size that has to move across the network with this communication.

For latency critical applications you havent got the time for all this checking, resending etc to happen, UDP is a best endeavours protocol, it just throws out the data and depends on the network and receiving device to be good enough to collect it at the same rate.

The two figures are quite different.

I've purchased the Ruckus MIMO MF2900 Access Point + MF2501 Adaptor from Stratagem for the purpose of streaming content from my PC to my XBOX MC in the living room.

I've so far managed to watch a few episodes of Lost in XViD, a couple of full feature XViD films and a few episodes of 24 from the full 8Gb DVD ISO on my PC. The wireless connectivity itself is flawless, DVD's play exactly as if they were in the DVD drive. I've not tried any HD content.

So top marks for the Ruckus hardware, cannot fault it. 10Meg NTL Internet is also distributed throughout the entire house, which is an added bonus.

The only problems I'm having is with the XBOX itself. It can play every format I throw at it (except Apple Lossless for some reason, although I read it should be possible). It just seems a little buggy, locks up quite a lot of the time when swapping videos etc. Using the MC360 skin, maybe thats the cause.. The XBOX is also very noisy when the TV isn't on even with the fans at 10%.. I just wish there was something like XBMC, without the fans and a little more stable, but for now I'm near enough where I want to be and intend to buy another couple of XBMC's for the rest of the house :)

Thanks Stratagem!

I've purchased the Ruckus MIMO MF2900 Access Point + MF2501 Adaptor from Stratagem for the purpose of streaming content from my PC to my XBOX MC in the living room.

I've so far managed to watch a few episodes of Lost in XViD, a couple of full feature XViD films and a few episodes of 24 from the full 8Gb DVD ISO on my PC. The wireless connectivity itself is flawless, DVD's play exactly as if they were in the DVD drive. I've not tried any HD content.

So top marks for the Ruckus hardware, cannot fault it. 10Meg NTL Internet is also distributed throughout the entire house, which is an added bonus.

The only problems I'm having is with the XBOX itself. It can play every format I throw at it (except Apple Lossless for some reason, although I read it should be possible). It just seems a little buggy, locks up quite a lot of the time when swapping videos etc. Using the MC360 skin, maybe thats the cause.. The XBOX is also very noisy when the TV isn't on even with the fans at 10%.. I just wish there was something like XBMC, without the fans and a little more stable, but for now I'm near enough where I want to be and intend to buy another couple of XBMC's for the rest of the house :)

Thanks Stratagem!

Thanks for the info, really useful.

As a matter of interest what signal strength were you getting before Ruckus ? And what path does the wireless need to traverse to get between your AP & Xbox ?

I am still umming and ahhing about whether to get 200Mb homeplug or Ruckus.

Would recommend a 360 but they're just so noisy it's untrue.

Thanks for the info, really useful.

As a matter of interest what signal strength were you getting before Ruckus ?

I am still umming and ahhing about whether to get 200Mb homeplug or Ruckus.

Would recommend a 360 but they're just so noisy it's untrue.

I had a D-Link DI-624 802.11g 108Mbps router with matching PCI card. Supposedly great. but in reality utter toss!!!! It couldn't even hold down a stable internet connection never mind stream DVD's.. I've also tried a wireless video sender unit a while back and it failed hoorribly.

I'm already 100% confident in the performance of the Ruckus, 2 or 3 dvd's have streamed about 15ft through 2 walls without a single hicup. I cannot comment on the HD side of things, but for anything up to DVD bandwidth it rocks!

Nice, thanks :smashin:
Looks like Strategem has another sale then. Just need to wait til the car's fixed.

Nice, thanks :smashin:
Looks like Strategem has another sale then. Just need to wait til the car's fixed.

Cool =) Post a review on how you get along!

Nicnic,

I'm toying with replacing my XBMC with a 360, and then getting Ruckus or one of the mains ethernet routers.

The main problem is XBMC ain't got the horsepower for playing some of the newer stuff I have.

So do you have to add anything to the 360 or server for it play anything? I have XP MCE as my "house" server.

Cheers,

Greg

Nicnic,

I'm toying with replacing my XBMC with a 360.

Greg

If you plan to only use Microsoft proprietry formats and can put up with the noise, go for it.
It is a bummer about XBMC's lack of HD support, but in every other regard it beats every single network player on the market hands down. I seem to remember seeing an XBOX CPU and RAM upgrade you could buy, don't know if that would help..

cheers nicnic,

But I'm confused, you said

"The only problems I'm having is with the XBOX itself. It can play every format I throw at it"

Are you talking about the 360 or your Xbox running XBMC? I have read about various programs that will allow a 360 to play non MS formats, ie Transcode 360, VLC360 or HDTVpump???

Cheers,

Greg

cheers nicnic,

But I'm confused, you said

"The only problems I'm having is with the XBOX itself. It can play every format I throw at it"

Are you talking about the 360 or your Xbox running XBMC? I have read about various programs that will allow a 360 to play non MS formats, ie Transcode 360, VLC360 or HDTVpump???

Cheers,

Greg

Next sentance was "It just seems a little buggy, locks up quite a lot of the time when swapping videos etc"

XBMC can play all formats natively it just crashes now and again. Never used the 360 but I don't fancy hacking every codec under the sun just to make it work. I've also heard the 360 and it sounds like a wind turbine!

ah, I've got you!

I'm using the 16th Oct CVS on my XBMC, plays most things fine, hangs on more "modern" streams inc (obviously) the HD ones.

Cheers,

greg

Does Apple Lossless work on yours?

not tried it, do you have a link to something I can try?

I'm soon to build an HTPC & would like to stream the live video that's being viewed in the living room to say the kitchen (I have an open plan house)....how much latency do these devices introduce...in other words would there be a noticeable delay between the sound/picture in the living room & that being viewed in the kitchen?

I'm trying to avoid running coax all around the house!

A ping on my Ruckus setup shows a round trip of 1ms, so about 40 X faster than sound travelling by air over the same distance.
No idea on the XBMC.
I have coax from Skybox to kitchen, this is about 1 sec delay, sounds like a Waterloo station announcer if the volumes up, and I have a WinTV PVR in the study, about 5 secs, put this on as well and things get really confusing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom