STRDN1080 or YAMAHA RXV6A for existing speaker setup

jimjam57

Novice Member
Hi

I'm new to home theatre setups and was hoping for some advice.

The place we have just moved into has existing speakers (all in the roof) in the below configuration
- couch is the lines on the left of the setup
-TV / Projector (Sony X9500G / a 1080P BenQ projector) is lines on the right
- o's are 6.5" Studio Acoustics SA360A 80watt / 8ohm
-0's are 8" Studio Acoustics SA380A 120watt / 8ohm

Guessing the position of the couch relative to the speakers is suboptimal but is what is is...

0 o
o| T|
o| V|
0 o

I have been looking at AV receivers and am out of my depth - I was thinking either the Sony STRDN1080 or the Yamaha RX-V6A - both about $1k currently in Aus but am open to recommendations based on the setup etc... Guessing I also need to pick up a sub and centre speaker as there are none currently.

Also any recommendations on how to plug it all in would be appreciated... We have an Xbox One X which we'd like to switch between the TV and projector, but most viewing is streaming services direct through the TV...

jimjam57

Novice Member
Adding photo of setup as my attempt with lines and 0o didn't really work ...
PXL_20210523_111344324.jpg

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry but your oI et al makes no sense. Can you cost a diagram with the screen position and the listening seating.

Are you keeping the speakers in the ceiling? If so it really doesn't matter what AV amp you go for as the impact on the audio will be negligible as ceiling speakers are a life style choice and not really conducive to good audio.

I wouldn't bother with a centre speakers if the left and right are going to remain in the ceiling. It could in fact make a poor arrangement sound even worse.

Sorry to be so blunt.

gibbsy

Our posts crossed. That is a really odd set up even for ceiling speakers. At the moment it is no good for a 5.1 as it looks as though it's tried to be a 6.1 set up with fronts, surrounds (the 8'') and rear surrounds. Who ever put them in looks as though they didn't have a clue about immersive audio.

Personally I would just use the two 8'' as they are in not too bad a position for Atmos delivery and buy a good 5.1 base units and place them where they should be.

jimjam57

Novice Member
Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry but your oI et al makes no sense. Can you cost a diagram with the screen position and the listening seating.

Are you keeping the speakers in the ceiling? If so it really doesn't matter what AV amp you go for as the impact on the audio will be negligible as ceiling speakers are a life style choice and not really conducive to good audio.

I wouldn't bother with a centre speakers if the left and right are going to remain in the ceiling. It could in fact make a poor arrangement sound even worse.

Sorry to be so blunt.
Accidentally replying to the wrong one and can't figure out how to delete.

All good with the bluntness and appreciate the quick reply...

Can you please explain what you mean about the 5.1 base units? Would they be just free standing / floor speakers and in addition to the 8" (so a 7.1 or 5.1.2 type setup?)

Last edited:

dion 6

Accidentally replying to the wrong one and can't figure out how to delete.

All good with the bluntness and appreciate the quick reply...

Can you please explain what you mean about the 5.1 base units? Would they be just free standing / floor speakers and in addition to the 8" (so a 7.1 or 5.1.2 type setup?)
As gibbsy said the 2 8" speakers are in a good position for atmos in a 5.1.2 setup. Get rid of the rest of the speakers and get a 5.1 system with wall or free standing speakers what ever suits you best

jimjam57

Novice Member
As gibbsy said the 2 8" speakers are in a good position for atmos in a 5.1.2 setup. Get rid of the rest of the speakers and get a 5.1 system with wall or free standing speakers what ever suits you best
Great, thanks for the clarification. So it would mean essentially picking up something like one of these, and if it already had a receiver included with it, swapping it out for one that supports 5.1.2? Or alternatively buying a bunch of individual 5.1 components and the receiver

If going down this path of 5.1.2, does one of the originally mentioned receivers (STRDN1080 / RXV6A) make more sense than the other / or are they both overkill?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210523-220446.png
    Screenshot_20210523-220446.png
    645.7 KB · Views: 22

dion 6

Great, thanks for the clarification. So it would mean essentially picking up something like one of these, and if it already had a receiver included with it, swapping it out for one that supports 5.1.2? Or alternatively buying a bunch of individual 5.1 components and the receiver

If going down this path of 5.1.2, does one of the originally mentioned receivers (STRDN1080 / RXV6A) make more sense than the other / or are they both overkill?
I've got a Sony STR-DN1080 it's a good avr but it's got issues with playing DTSX with the correct specker configuration and its a nearly 4 year old model so if it was me now I'd go for the newer yamaha RXV6A or a Denon X2700H and there not overkill for a 5.1.2 setup there entry level. Then get a 5.1 speaker package but the sub doesn't have to be from the same brand as the speakers its better to get a separate sub which will probably be better. There's guys on the forum like gibbsy and Gasp3621 with greater knowledge than me to advise you best of luck with your decisions I'll warn you you can get carried away 😂😂

Last edited:

gibbsy

The ones you show above are 5.1 receiver and speaker packages and you would not be able to utilise the two speakers in the ceiling for immersive Atmos as that needs a 7.1 receiver capable of a 5.1.2 Atmos set up, such as the Sony and the Yamaha. In the UK there are plenty of dealers that put together speaker bundles with those two receivers. How easy that would be to find in Oz I have no idea.

To give you some idea of what to look for browse this site.

I would recommend the Denon X1600 if you can get one. A lot easier to set up and operate than the Sony and Yamaha and with the right bundle can make for a great starting place.

jimjam57

Novice Member
The ones you show above are 5.1 receiver and speaker packages and you would not be able to utilise the two speakers in the ceiling for immersive Atmos as that needs a 7.1 receiver capable of a 5.1.2 Atmos set up, such as the Sony and the Yamaha. In the UK there are plenty of dealers that put together speaker bundles with those two receivers. How easy that would be to find in Oz I have no idea.

To give you some idea of what to look for browse this site.

I would recommend the Denon X1600 if you can get one. A lot easier to set up and operate than the Sony and Yamaha and with the right bundle can make for a great starting place.

Thanks again gibbsy (and Dion 6 / unoduo) for the feedback. Looks like the Denon x1600H is essentially the same price as the Sony/Yamaha at the moment so will check in more detail.

I did have a quick look at the speaker configurations in the manual and am I right in saying this Denon actually has the current setup as effectively a standard option (aside from FHL/FHR being aimed at listener vs in ceiling)? Or is there an assumption here that all the greyed out speakers are also in operation (seems like too many for this AVR)? My thought is - if the existing setup at least technically worked on the Denon I could try it and then move to the 5.1.2 over time / if the existing sucked (or sucked more than my current soundbar).
Screenshot_20210524-113848.png

In terms of AVRs in general I've noticed in the manuals they have very specific layouts - do they stop working if you deviate?

Eg if I went the Denon with existing setup, could I add a sub or would the sub just not work?

gibbsy

That layout if for height speakers in the Atmos domain, not what you are looking at. Those speakers for in ceiling use in a 6.1 set up would be Front Left/Front Right, Surround Left/Surround Right, Rear Surround Left/Rear Surround Right. All in the ceiling.

That would put the Surround Speakers in front of your sofa. Not good at all. Surround Speakers should always be behind the seating area. See this guide.

jimjam57

Novice Member
That layout if for height speakers in the Atmos domain, not what you are looking at. Those speakers for in ceiling use in a 6.1 set up would be Front Left/Front Right, Surround Left/Surround Right, Rear Surround Left/Rear Surround Right. All in the ceiling.

That would put the Surround Speakers in front of your sofa. Not good at all. Surround Speakers should always be behind the seating area. See this guide.

Thanks again for all the help.

I'm down the rabbit hole of speakers now while I still decide on the receiver. I've been looking at centre and subs so far (yet to look at the rest) and was thinking along the lines of these (bearing mind I don't want to spend $thousands at this point and will be coming from a Sony 2.1 soundbar - with the 'bass' within the bar)

Any thoughts on these?

Centre
A like new set of Yamaha NSP350 centre and surround for $150 - I am leaning towards this as it seems like a good deal

Cambridge Audio SX70 -$325

Klipsch R52C - $400

Bass
Cambridge Audio SX120
Cambridge Audio SX120 Subwoofer

Klipsch R100SW

Or just a set of 5.1s and swap out the receiver

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom