STRDH820 HDMI inputs not working.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mojobacca, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Mojobacca

Mojobacca
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up the Sony STR-DH820 a few months ago and things were all good. I had my Samsung BD player setup using HDMI and had no issues. When I finally settled down and bought some new HDMI cables to hook up the X-Box and PS3 to the receiver, I have the problem that none of my inputs were giving any signal.

My satellite is using component video input with HDMI out to the TV and that was working good, so I tested it's HDMI out and got nothing there as well.

Each component HDMI output to the TV works, so it seems that my HDMI input bus (if that's what it's called... I'm new to this scene) has crapped itself. The HDMI out works fine as is evidenced by the satellite signal still working.

Oddly, I didn't always get a blue screen with "No Signal" drifting across my TV when I was trying these out. I would sometimes get a black screen with a "Not Supported" message with a flicker of an image from the component being tested.

2. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    I'd say that the devices you're hooking up are currently outputting a resolution that is unsupported by the inputs, probably 1080P. Try connecting the PS3 directly to a TV and set the output to 1080i then reconnect to the Sony.

Edit: Hmmm, now I've looked at the manual, it seems a competent beast and should be able to cope with a 1080P input. Still worth lowering the resolution anyway I would say. Are you using certified high speed HDMI cables?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  3. Mojobacca

Mojobacca
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I honestly don't know. I'm using Insignia (Best Buy's brand) and one from GE.

4. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    I would start by connecting a device - let's say the PS3 for sake of argument - directly to the TV and going into the PS3 settings menu and forcing the video output to be 1080i. Whilst you're there, turn off Deep Colour as well. Now reconnect the amp to the TV and the PS3 to the amp and see if that has made any difference. If it has, then the next step would be to reconfigure the PS3 to output 1080P. I would leave Deep Colour off, it's unlikely you have any media that's using it anyway.