1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strde585 causing staining

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by silent lucidity, Feb 21, 2003.

1. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well here's a weird one,wondering if anyone else has experienced this.I had my newly bought receiver on the shelf directly beneath my tv and soon noticed some colour staining in the bottom left corner.Moved it to the lower shelf and the staining is gone!Is it possible it was magnetic interference from the amps transformer?I'm very curious as I've never heard of this problem before,I thought it was only speakers you had to be careful about.BTW my speakers are Sony Pascals,so I can't imagine they would cause a problem.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Well the power suppy probably has a large transformer in it which can put out a magnetic field ...

3. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the Sony uses a two pin type plug in an adaptor, reverse it.
    Swapping the polarity can sometimes reduce/remove the staining as the power supply with be 180 degree's phase.
    Radiation lobe downwards instead of upwards.

4. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's just a straight forward fixed lead with a household 3 pin plug,any mains stepdown is done in the amp it's self.Had the tv on a couple of hours last night and seems to be okay now the amp is further away,so I'm not too worried.Just thought it was an odd one :rotfl:

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi silent lucidity
    MY nad t752 is doing the same to my tv staining on the bottom left corner [purple and green] .Iam able to put my receiver on the bottom shelf which are glass .Can the magnetic field damage the dvd player which would be above my receiver really need to know as i dont want to cuase any more problems.
    Hope someone can help.
    Gonzo.:(

6. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gonzo.I wouldn't think it would be a problem,remember the fact that your dvd player has it's own internal transformer and that doesn't cause a problem.I suppose that because a crt is so sensitive to magnetic fields,anything with a transformer is a possible issue.If you're still concerned I hope someone can supply you with a more detailed response,but I have no reservations about placing my amp below my dvd player(which is where it now is as they had to do a vice versa!).

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Not directly related ... but if you want to place your DVD player (or CD or anyother equipment) ontop of an amp - make sure that you leave sufficient distance to give good air flow. And extra 1/2" or more is best.

8. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually have mine on separate shelfs,I wouldn't dream of putting anything on top of my amp.These things kick out some serious power and consequently,quite a degree of heat!

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi silent lucidity
    I switched my amp and dvd last night[All them cables] :mad:
    anyway the stainings now gone the amps fine underneath its got about 2'' clearance on top and open at the back and sides.
    Thanks for replying Gonzo.:)

10. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs Gonzo;I know what you mean about those cables:suicide: