1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strdb930 and bass levels for music

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dfield2000, Aug 9, 2002.

1. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got a Sony str db930 and I'm no sure how to get the best sound out of it when listening to the music channels on sky. I used to set the sound field to '2 channel stereo' which was fine, but now I have bought a sub woofer and a new pair of fronts, things have gone a bit pair shaped.

I've only recently bought a sub, mj acoustic pro 50, and I'm not sure how setting the sub to 'Yes' on the amp effects the bass levels sent to the front speakers.

Putting the sound field on Auto Format Decode appears to make the amp realise it's playing 2 channel music and outputs to the front two speakers and the sub. Trouble is, the bass when listening to MTV from the sub is far too 'boomey' and drowns out the music. The subs settings are fine for normal TV and DVD, so I don't want to have to fiddle around the back of the sub every time I switch over to a music channel. If I change the sound field to '2 channel stereo' the sub is cut completely - but there doesn't appear to be any bass sent to the front two, which gives a really weak sound. I don't know what relevance the 'LFE Mix' setting has if the sub setting is on 'Yes'. Does the LFE mix only come into effect when the sub is set to 'No' and therefore the bass redirection circuitry outputs the lfe channel to the front speakers ?

Front speakers are B&W 602. I haven't put the foam bungs in as I think this will reduce the bass even more.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just realised that I've put this in the wrong section - should have put it in the Amplifiers part. I don't appear to have the privillages to move my post......

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +938
    All done.:) ;)

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    I have the same amp and B&W speakers. I also have a yamaha sub. The sub option is set to yes on the amp.

When I play music I don't use the sub. I get enough bass. I also have the speakers on stands which can make quite a bit of difference.

If you do use the sub just try lowering the volume on the sub. Also make sure you have them set to large and not small on the amp.

5. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When you say you don;t use the sub for music, do you change the setting on the amp to 'Sub - No', or do you leave it on Yes and just switch the power off ? Also, which sound field do you use for music ?

thanks

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    I just switch the sub off when I play music and leave the amp set to yes.

7. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    from what I understand from the manual, if your listening to music and therefore don't have a LFE channel the amp will filter off the bass frequencies and channel them to the sub woofer. When this happens you get S.WOOFER lit up on the front display. If you keep the 'SUB = YES' setting, but switch the sub off doesn't this means that you're missing some of the bass ? When I listen to music now I set the sub = No and put the mode to '2 CH STERIO' . Its a bit of a pain because you've got to fiddle with the settings everytime you want to listen to music.

All this is moot point now as I seem to have knackard the amp now. It won't output anything at all now.

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    I still get enough bass from my 602's with the sub switched off (Either I have got used to it).

It depends on the music. I put on Pink Floyd's The Wall on CD and there is a lot of bass in there.

dfeild2000

Do you think you have knackered the amp by turning off the sub when you play music?

9. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It was my two year old son last night. He cranked up the volume to maximum and after a few brief seconds the amp went dead and I can't get any life out of it now.

I've posted another thread to ask if anyone knows if there is an easy fix, ie some sort of reset switch - but no one has replied yet.

It could be an excuse to buy a newer amp but its a shame because I quite liked the sony.

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    It give you the opportunity to get the 1070 model.

11. king2001

king2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've had a 930 for about 2 years now and all of a sudden I am getting fairly loud buzzing from all speakers. I haven't changed any speakers or cables or plugged it into a different socket so I am at a bit of a loss. I did read elsewhere in the forum that this model did have some problems but I would have thought they would show up straight away.

Anyone have any suggestions?

12. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just to feedback on the Sub=Yes, Auto Format, 2-ch Stereo etc:

The 2 channel stereo mode cuts out all faffing with subs, multi-channel, EQ (I think from memory) and what have you, and so you get what it says on the box, 2 channel stereo with no processing. Auto-Format, when it thinks 2-ch is the source will enable sub (if sub=yes) and therefore bass mgmt, and EQ if you have that turned on too.

I guess the 2Ch mode is Sony's version of what others call a "Direct" type mode.

And I do agree, it is a difficult balancing act to get the sub set correctly for TV / Sky / DVD with this amp.

My personal compromise has been to listen to every Sky channel in Pro-Logic mode, which goes against my better judgement for music - but my Marantz all-in-one remote won't learn the Sony IR commands to change Sound Field, so its too much trouble to get off my arse every time stereo music is on!

However, if I'm putting a CD on, I'll bother to change to 2-ch as I'm over by the amp anyway!

The trick for me was very careful cross-over setting on the sub, and even carefuller (!) volume setting. It is indeed true that the thing should be just on the brink of perception.

Mine probably could do with being the slightest smidge louder for DVD (but it does depend on the mix), but doing so does make the likes of MTV too boomy.

Hope that helps and isn't academic at this point!

Cheers,
    Andy

13. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    I was watching a bit of Roger Waters In the Flesh DVD in 5.1 and also noticed there was some hiss coming out of the rear speakers.

I turned down the speaker level from +4 to +3. I like my rears quite loud so it maybe part my fault.

I think my amp is about 2 - 2 1/2 years old.

14. king2001

king2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I know what you mean about the hiss from the rear speakers as I put mine up to 3 or 4, but there is definately buzzing on all 5 speakers.

Any other suggestions or what kind of repair charge are sony going to hit me with?:(

15. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    I have been using auto format for my music. I have noticed that subwoofer is displayed but I just ignored it and I never thought about it.

Should I get better bass by setting it 2 channel stereo as I don't have the sub on for music?

I also have a digital connection to the amp as wel bu can switch to analog if i wanted.