1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STRDB1070 - 5.1 Inputs - matrixed rear channel ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SPYTHON, Sep 6, 2002.

1. SPYTHON

SPYTHON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As many of you will know if you have been reading the forums this week I have just purchased a sony str-db1070, which my pioneer 626 won't talk to using a dts digital signal, my latest question is........

If I connect the player to the 5.1 inputs on the receiver, can it decode the matrixed reas signal from a dts-es 6.1 matrixed source, as the source should be matrixed in the two rear channels ???????

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Don´t think so. The 5.1 external inputs usually don´t allow you to add any further processing to them, otherwise you would be processing an already processed signal.

You´ll just be stuck with 5.1 sound I´m afraid.

3. SPYTHON

SPYTHON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about sound fields - i.e cinema modes, do these modify the signals from the 5.1 jacks ????

4. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The answer is yes.

As the rear centre signal is matrixed into the left and right surround channels and thus carried in these signals, and providing you have the sixth speaker connected, you'll be absolutely fine.

Tried it myself, works a treat! Though i can't see why the Pioneer isn't communicating with the Sony, that's very strange!

Hope this helps

Westy

5. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    How sure are you that they wont talk to each other my pioneer DVD player sends a nice happy DTS signal to my Sony 925 amp. Only problem is the time for the to synch up! leaves a big glaring quiet point on layer changes of about 4 seconds :(

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    You´ll have to try. On all my amps/receivers (Denon/Yamaha) once you select the External Decoder input, thats it. The inputs bypass all bass management etc. Don´t forget you´re now dealing with an analogue signal not digital. Usually the amp just passes those signals FL, Centre, FR etc straight thru to the amplification & then your speakers.

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't you have to go into the players set up menu and enable it for DTS.

8. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sony 870 amp, which is a down graded version of the 1070, and when ever i use the 5.1 multi chanel inputs (I only use this for SACD), I have no options to apply any EQ or other effects within the amp.

9. SPYTHON

SPYTHON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the 5.1 inputs, and you can't use the dsp modes, but westy, can you confirm that the 5.1 inputs will pass through the matrixed channel, so I should get phantom 6.1 (centre channel through the rear surrounds) ???????

I'm really stuck at the moment, I don't know whether to return the amp and try to get one which will talk to the 626d

10. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Are you really sure there is a problem with the amp. I have the 626D with an old Sony 925 Reciever and DTS works fine. Have you checked that the DVD player is correctly sending the right info. I am sure I had to change a setting on the DVD player. I cant remember which one at the moment.

Stuart

11. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spython,

I've just tried this out again, and yes, the matrix rear channel comes through clean and clear! As i said, the rear surround information is carried in the rear channels, and even though you're only connecting 5 channels, engage the 6.1 mode on the amp, and you're in extended surround business.

Trust me, it works :)

Westy

12. SPYTHON

SPYTHON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    westy,

I tried to engage the 6.1 mode on the amp, with 5.1 connected, and it came up with not in use, so I can't send the matrixed signal to the extra amp, did you try it on this receiver, or a similar one ?????:confused:

13. jon2366

jon2366

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SPYTHON

I have the 1070 and have had no trouble getting a 6.1 output,
    from either My Sony ns700 or My old Sammy 709.

I used a coax interconnect with both, also I have the MODE button lit in "normal surround" NOT the AFD button.

Just one more thing, You don't say if it works with a Dolby Digital signal.

Hope this helps

14. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Spython,

I had the same problem with DTS on my Pioneer 515. You have to go into the player setup 'without a DVD/CD in the player' to get you to the right menu!!!! In one of the setup options there should be one that reads something like 'enable DTS' etc.

Hope this helps.

Joust