STRDA1200ES New £400 Sony Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bassbin, Aug 23, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Just noticed a glowing review for this in the new What HiFi? Looks like its destined to scoop an award next month. If it is discounted (I would guess it'll be just over £300 in a couple of months) then it could be a real bargain but I can't help wondering if the review is just the result of a marketing push with What HiFi? Only thing I can find on the web is on Superfi's coming soon page.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo-2.cfm/Product_ID/2912

I've been very impressed with my Sony 790 (followed by the 795 and 798) so if this new amp can offer a performance leap on those then I think it could be very good. If it can offer a glimpse of the performance of the 7100es then it will be amazing.

2. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Do you have any images of this mate?? I have a Sony STR-DB780QS which although is stunning, I quite fancy having component switching and upconverting now since I have a projector. Would like to replace it with another Sony based upon my experience with my current amp!

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I haven't had a good look on the web but it is similar in looks to the bigger sony receivers.

4. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
  5. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Some people hate the look of the Sony ES receivers but I kind of like it. I would have expected an ES receiver to come in at £700+ so I wonder if Sony are trying to spoil the midrange market place for the likes of Yamaha and Denon who dominate that arena whereas Sony have only had a limited impact at the £200-£300 and £1500+ price points recently. It maybe that they've managed to steal a march on the competition by mass producing their digital amps to drive down costs. Just hope they haven't cut too many corners in other areas.

Superfi say 'Video format conversion: Yes, from composite to S-Video & component video' So based on that it doesn't upconvert to hdmi but it could be incomplete spec on their site. I didn't read the HDMI bits of the review as I'm sticking with component for a good while yet.

6. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Nice one - I'm only using component at the minute as that is all my projector will accept.

ES receivers always look good in my opinion, but the "big" look isn't for everyone.

Will have to keep my eye on this one, and also hope that as you say the quality is not going to suffer as badly.

EDIT: Just done a quick search on google, and £400 is how much the lower range QS recievers usually go for.. they must be cutting corners, surely??

7. Ron2256

Ron2256
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    here is a link from sony australia

http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22050

(You need to scroll down on the right hand side to find it)

It had a very good review in what hifi and next month it will be up against the the rest of the competition in a super test.
    The 759se has also a review in this month what hifi and it lose a star due to the arrival of the sony.

Looking forward to see the sony available in the shops.

8. ralphmalph

ralphmalph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    If you do a google search these are listed on Italian websites for 460 Euro, that is 300 quid. For the spec that is an incredible price.

9. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If I were the boss at Sony I think I'd sack the whole marketing department as once again they seem to be clueless on how to promote their product.

They get a 5 star fulll page review in What HiFi? and it's tipped to be a front runner in the awards. So i look on their website last week and not only is this product not listed it lists no current receivers in their range even though they are still selling the old ones in their own online store. Today I check again and still find nothing and so try google and on a uk search get almost nothing the first result is actually this thread.

Surely if Sony have developed a great product and the PR people have managed to get it a good review at least they could provide some information about it. They've done this before same thing happened with their SA-WX900 'secret' sub which I own only with that they didn't even bother sending one out for a review.

10. Revaan

Revaan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Looks like the same spec as the recently released in the US : STR-DG1000.

Looks very good and I agree on the Sony Marketing in the UK. It blows big time...

11. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Why market something they don't yet have access to? Existing stocks have to be used and UK models are invariably reworked to bring them up to our more discerning levels. Hence we get the stuff later.

12. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Marketing a new product starts well in advance of the stock arriving. The incompetence here arrises when they send a product for review, meaning 4-6 weeks ago, and then when a 5 star review hit the newstands last week the Sony website doesn't feature it. Worse still the website doesn't feature any current model receivers. They've discontinued all the old ones which are still widely available without bothering to mention the new models. They should riding high on the back of review like that and promoting a launch date and the spec.

13. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    You have forgotten about the power of dealers who are saddled with old discontinued stock and certainly don't want Sony's finest being pushed before they can unload the old stuff. I'll bet that is where the problem is.

14. koshper

koshper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    then the simple answer is don't give it to the press to review until they're ready then.

and if they're so eager to push old stock, why remove them completely from their website.

15. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054

makes a change from buying a new TV, where the new models are usually out in the shops for weeks before even a sniff of a review.

Which issue has this review in? Does it (a) process and amplify multichannel PCM coming down HDMI, and (b) upconvert component inputs to 1080i and output over HDMI?

16. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Not sure about (a) but concerning upconverting it looks like it only takes Composite and S-Video to Component. There appear to be 2 or 3 models above this one that may upconvert the lot to HDMI.

I like quite a lot of Sony products and I think their approach to the market is all wrong. I used to have dealings with their video and photographic teams (product managers, marketing and sales) and the people were all really enthusiastic about product. Maybe things have changed in the last 5 years or maybe the hi-fi/av people just don't care. I bet they've got a massive budget for adverts, brochures and pr as well.

17. CG_Gordon

CG_Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

I read the What Hi Fi review, which was very praising indeed, but isn't it interesting how that magazine consistenly manages to fill its reviews with absolultley no decent information. As far as I can remember there was no mention of either of your questions and to be honest I doubt if that kind of info is ever mentioned in What Hi Fi.

18. gadgetgeezer10

gadgetgeezer10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its a cracking review - I'm sold! I'm shortly in the market for a receiver, and if I can find one, I'll be getting one! The back up is the Yammy AX757SE @ circa £300.

19. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I would cynically suggest that Sony rushed it off to WHF so it would win the AV receiver award for 2006, without giving a thought to actually advertising the product ahead of that time.

WHF have clearly signalled this is going to win the gong, so maybe Sony are waiting to cash in on the WHF Awards issue (Oct 06) and give it a real push then.

It does look like a nice bit of kit though, I admit, and if it's as sonically brilliant as the DB790, they're onto a winner at that price.

20. T4FF

T4FF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've found someone who is selling it!!!

http://www.cheapelectricals.co.uk/acatalog/Sony_STR-DA1200ES_Multi_Channel_Reciever.html

How they are selling this when no one else is I don't know. Really don't know anything about the company at all (does anyone?), so not encouraging anyone to buy it - personally I never trust any company who don't bother with their website! Just thought you would all be interested. It comes in at £344.82. Can't wait to see it selling elsewhere!

21. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Seems like a bargain - typical though - I'm looking for an amp around this budget so now I'm even more confused about which to go for!!:D

22. md2495

md2495

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I don't know for sure but this website looks a bit dodgy. :eek: Charging 10% to speak to someone on the phone, £60 cheaper than anyone else, selling it before anyone else has stock...hmmmm.

Be careful:thumbsdow

23. Revaan

Revaan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    CheapElectricals is a well known site round here... and a lot of satisfied customers reside here (well, on the TV section anyway).

But i agree, their website sucks bigtime...

24. drljames

drljames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  25. MBee

MBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just mailed Cheapelectricals asking about availability.
    If they really do have any I am going to order one.
    Anyone else ordered one yet?

MBee

26. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I also emailed them today. They do not have them in stock but are taking orders for an expected mid to late september delivery.

27. BigJJ

BigJJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    October, No and No:D

28. MBee

MBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  29. Revaan

Revaan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I ordered one from CheapElectricals yesterday afternoon after they confirmed a mid-to-late september delivery.

Ive opted for a Black version.

The one from Hi-Fi Confidential seems a good deal and wish I'd waited now. never mind, its only money !

30. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I wonder what goes on at the Sonystyle website. There never any mention of anything till well down the line. Still nothing on the STRDG700 either. Also popped in to the odd shop and only just seen the STRDG700 in one of them.

I know that I could probably get a discount if it appears, but untill it does have no idea on what the discount would be. :confused: