Strda-3200es & Kef 1005 Subwoofer

S

spanna2000

I have the Sony STRDA-3200ES & Kef 5.1 speaker package 1005. The speaker package came with a subwoofer but I can't get any sound out of it.

The subwoofer produces sound if I connect line level input to the input, i.e. from my mp3 player headphone socket to the left input.

I've checked my speaker cabling and if I connect the amplifier end of the sub speaker cable to my MP3 player I get sound this way too so wiring is ruled out. Phew, at least I don't need to get the floor up again to change the cables.

If I connect the sub to the sub pre out on my 3200ES I get nothing at all, nothing from the test noise, nothing from the autocalibration. The sub is at default -30db volume, do I need to increase that? Even if I do it doesn't help. Do I need to have the receiver in any particular decode/input mode?

Is my amp faulty or is there some complex setup I have missed? Should I expect the 3200 pre amp out to driver the kef sub if the kef sub says it needs "line level" input? Is there a way I can test the amp with another speaker without damaging the speaker or the amp?

The receiver was purchased from superfi so packing and returning is not going to be fun - I hope this is a nubie error in the setup.

Hope you can help.

Regards

S

spanna2000

on a similar theme - should i expect the set up menus to work over HDMI? I can only get the OSD if I use component out. I am assuming this is a limitation of the HDMI implementation. The video passthrough works fine.

Mr_P

I have the Sony STRDA-3200ES & Kef 5.1 speaker package 1005. The speaker package came with a subwoofer but I can't get any sound out of it.

The subwoofer produces sound if I connect line level input to the input, i.e. from my mp3 player headphone socket to the left input.

I've checked my speaker cabling and if I connect the amplifier end of the sub speaker cable to my MP3 player I get sound this way too so wiring is ruled out. Phew, at least I don't need to get the floor up again to change the cables.

If I connect the sub to the sub pre out on my 3200ES I get nothing at all, nothing from the test noise, nothing from the autocalibration. The sub is at default -30db volume, do I need to increase that? Even if I do it doesn't help. Do I need to have the receiver in any particular decode/input mode?

Is my amp faulty or is there some complex setup I have missed? Should I expect the 3200 pre amp out to driver the kef sub if the kef sub says it needs "line level" input? Is there a way I can test the amp with another speaker without damaging the speaker or the amp?

The receiver was purchased from superfi so packing and returning is not going to be fun - I hope this is a nubie error in the setup.

Hope you can help.

Regards

Try setting your speakers to "small" in the 3200es speaker set up menu. That may just do the trick. Then try autocalibration again.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom