1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strata V problem?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mlinhares, Oct 22, 2004.

1. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I traded my Strata III for a Strata V some time ago. When I tried to calibrate it (about 75 volume on the sub) instead of a continuous sound (that I got with the Strata III) I got small burst of sound as if the sub was switching itself off and then on again and 4 small dots appear on the display.
    The other night I was watching Star Wars and in the intro of THX in the final explosion it's quite clear that the sub switches itself off.

In the AV processor (Tag AV32R DP) the sub is at 0dB so I think that the problem doesn't come from there and I also tried it with a separate audio system (2 channel system) and the problem persists, around 75 to 80 in volume the sub switched itself off and then on again.
    The position and the cables are also the same that I used in the Strata III. I tried other cables and the problem persists. I'm only using low level.

Could someone shed some light? Could it be a problem with the sub?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi it does sound like there is a problem with your sub, have you checked all your cableing notheing is loose?
    If all else fails speak to your dealer or take it back to them it does not sound healthy :(

John :)

3. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried with different cables even the power cable.

The problem is that I took it to the dealer and it came exactly the same and yesterday they told me they had reproduced the problem with another sub… could it be a Strata V overprotection problem?

Can someone with a Strata V try to see if they can reproduce the problem, i. e., put the AV in calibration mode and and try volume on the sub 75 or more?

I have e-mailed Rel a few days ago but so far no answer.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What size room are you running it in because maybe it is the auto cut out kicking in. :(
    But it does sound abit dubious though, i used to own one and never had that problem but my settings were at about 55 LFE & 48 Hi Level for music.
    Maybe you might be expecting too much from it, i would speak to Rel directly for an answer.
    Hope you sort it

5. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried it in different rooms.
    And yes I also believe it's the auto cut off protecting it but with the AV processor set to 0dB it should go louder without clipping than say 70 or 75 on the volume. My question is it a problem with all Strata V or is it just mine?
    I have e-mailed Rel on the 19th of this month but so far no answer…

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does sound like a problem as i would of thought personally that they should be able to go that loud without the auto protect kicking in, has your dealer got another one that you could try out at home and see if that does the same.

7. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's what I thought also…
    The problem is that my dealer is more than 400 km away and I already sent it to them and it came exactly the same. Than I contacted them and they said they had reproduced the problem with another Strata V. So is it a general Strata V problem?

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are the customer and if you are not happy with what you have got then they need to sort you out, with either another Rel sub that works properly or an alternative.
    The answer they have given to you ref "it must be a problem with the Strata 5's" is rubbish i would not take that and if it were me i would go back to them and make sure 100% that they do something about it and don't take no for an answer.

9. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I love the sub. The problem is now that I know there is a problem I can not enjoy the film… I'm always trying to see if the sub clipped…

10. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just don't know why Rel's "helpdesk" is taking so much time to answer… :confused: :mad:

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't give up or make it the Dealers problem, surely you bought it from them so let them sort it out ;)

12. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to ask owners of Strata V to push sound level to 75 or more in calibration mode on the AV (processor/receiver) to see if the sub clips.