1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strata 5 Update

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by SteveRSF, Dec 5, 2004.

1. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have posted this b4 but i bought a cherry one from audio x in august and when i brought it home and connected it up it just sat in the corner with a constant loud hum!

after two days i had a replcement and all was well!

then about 4 weeks ago the sub started switching it's self off and on......with the display flashing...after switching the switch on the back off and on..it was ok, untill the next day.........anyway after another week i took it back to the shop and they sent it back to REL............then a call last tuesday and it was back in the shop......wayhay!... :D

brought it back to the house connected up......SHOCK HORROR ....the sub sounded like it had blown!!!!!!!
    yes i took it back to the shop and they plugged it in the demo room and it sounded terrible!

So on the phone to REL the shop said that they had a very red faced customer there with a couple of months old sub that had just been repaired and it was still faulty.........they offered to take it back to be repaired but i said that was NO GOOD!........in the end REL said they would build a new one and i would have it on friday............SORTED!

ER NO! i had the new one picked up and connected friday lunch time and it's faulty as well :mad: :mad: it comes on ok but after a wile it goes onto standby af if it's not detecting a signal.....
    Sorry to rant on but do you guys think this is good enough for an £800 sub..what are your thoughts guys?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Steve,
    Sorry to hear about you're ordeal you really haven't had much luck with the Strata have you :( for the £800 you have paid it's not on! and if i was you i would tell them that for all the hastle and time it has cost you let alone the money that you would like the new Storm 5 instead to compensate you :)

John

3. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They must have listened recruit............as i am now the proud owner of a new Storm 5............had it in cherry again it's a little bigger than the strata but it is awesome................very very good :clap:

A big thank you to matt @ REL...........i had a phone call from them saying that they couln't believe the luck i have had....and they replaced the old sub with this new one well chuffed.......... :thumbsup:

Hope this one stays in the house for a while!

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent News Steve :thumbsup:

John :)

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Good stuff :) Always nice when a company comes through like that. Sorting out faults or errors always shows care for the customer.

Good Job, and good job REL too :smashin:

6. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm still waiting for my Storm V to come and replace my (now boxed) faulty Strata V…

7. andromeda

andromeda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im waiting for my third ! strata 5 ,the problem is the "powerstarvation"?after 5 minutes the gain is going down slowly !Turning the mainswitch off/on is solving the problem for another 5 minutes! anyone has the same problem?greetz from the Netherlands...hope rel sends me the storm for free after all this problems...

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I had this problem with one of my customers who bought the Stampede, first one just hummed all the time, the second one did what yours did and slowly got quieter and quieter thankfully the third one was fine and he is a very happy customer.

9. Neo X

Neo X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully I will get my Strata V next week. I 'll keep my fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

10. andromeda

andromeda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    keep me informed !get my strata 5 this week ,dealer is gonna test it first by himself ,don"t want me to happen the same thing for the third time !,Ok but wen it play,s its realy awesome!(its the only reason wy i go for the third one...)
    greetz from the netherlands en enjoy your strata 5 (hope it works out better for you than it did for me so far..)

11. andromeda

andromeda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Crustyloafer ,so i know now Im not the only one with this problem ,maybe a bad serie?whatever ,lets hope it works out wel this week

12. fourtears

fourtears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Did it hum all the time or just when both the high level and line level feeds were connected. My new Stampede hums with both connected but not with just one or the other. Do you think this is a fault?

13. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    If it only hums when both are connected it sounds like an earthing loop. Have you tried disconnecting the earth from the subs power cord?

14. Neo X

Neo X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to say that I've had my Strata V for 3 days and it is amazing how deep down it goes. I know that has about 6 hours of listening and I expect to become smoother.

So far so good. No problems. I'll keep my findgers crossed.

15. Neo X

Neo X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is considered the minimum time needed for a Sub to sound at it's best?

16. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice one ..........had mine for a few months now and i must say it is AWESOME!.................. :D well chuffed!

17. Neo X

Neo X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After some 15 hours of listening the Strata V is starting to become smoother and play even better. What a piece of sub unit.

Congrats REL for such a good product. :clap:

18. andromeda

andromeda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok,playing here for 8hours en getting smoother already!dealer has tested it before dilyvering to me because this is my third one!first two stops playing after a while !? :thumbsdow .....ok ,**** happens
    now problems are solved and he,s playing awesome ! hope it stayes in the house for a long time at this level.. :thumbsup:

19. ErikV

ErikV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After trying out several subs from lesser brands and not finding the sound I wanted to hear I've decided to buy a REL after all. :)

Bad luck for me. My unit does the same as all those others. It starts playing after turning on the power. After a few minutes the bass gets weaker and than it stops playing. :confused:

The unit has been replaced and I'm sorry to say that if I hadn't seen it being replaced with my own two eyes I would have sworn it was the same unit. :(

I hope to be more lucky with the third replacement.... ;)

If a REL plays there's nothing that comes near to it but so far so bad.

I'm not mad but puzzled how the No1 in SUBs can put such a bad product on the market.

20. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems like Rels quality control division is slacking these days, ive owned 2 Rels, the Q150 and now the Strata III and they have never hummed or anything. Am still super chuffed with my strataIII, rel makes excellent subs to suit all pockets. The remote feature on the mkV's do have me lusting for 1 but the III still mixes with the best when it comes to high quality deep bass :thumbsup: Oooh im tempted ring up rel and tell them mine has gone worng maybe they send me a storm V too :D

Zoo