Question Strap -> tripod connector (e.g. Black Rapid ConnectR): where to buy? Reasonable alternatives?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by 3phemeral, May 23, 2018.

1. 3phemeral

3phemeral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi!
    I've got 2 camera straps - a Black Rapid where the metal of the 'connector' has worn out to the point I don't feel comfortable using them anymore (see the attached picture). The Black Rapid's part is called a ConnectR, but I can't find it for sale anywhere. The straps themselves look in excellent condition, and I wouldn't hesitate in using them.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a reasonably priced replacement part or alternative part that would work to hang the camera from?

Sun Sniper support said Wex stock the replacement piece, but with a fairly bad review and at £27, more than I'd be willing to pay: Sun-Sniper-Strap Rotaball Connector

Suggestions welcome!

Attached Files:

2. 3phemeral

3phemeral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  3. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,744
    I had no trouble finding replacement black rapid ones tbh. I’ve now moved on to the peak design slide though and much prefer it. Feels more secure and the camera in not constantly spinning and moving around as you’re walking.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,744
    Just looked and you’re right they’re not available anymore, only the Fastenr’s are available. I guess it’s BR’s way of making you buy a new strap :rolleyes:

5. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,395
    There was a user on TP who sold good replicas and spares....

6. 3phemeral

3phemeral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks @snerkler and @shotokan101. Yeah, it's annoying the originals aren't really available for sale anymore.

@snerkler: I'll have a look at the Peak Design Slide. For now tho, I'll wear out my RapidStrap first ;)

@shotokan101: Any idea if he's contactable elsewhere? I may have a TP account but not enough posts to post in their wanted/buy/sell section.

7. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,395
    I will have a look and see if I can find any references

8. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,744
    The guy Jim’s talking about sells the q-straps, you’ll find the website on google. I had one but it split so I won’t buy another.

9. Thumpermawer

Thumpermawer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    I am in pretty much the same position as OP now - Black Rapid carabiner is showing enough wear that I don't have 100% confidence in it anymore. If I could get a replacement easily/cheaply I think I'd do that, but since it's most of the cost of a new strap, I'm looking at alternatives.

Although I loved the BR design initially, a couple of things I'd like to "solve". First, the bouncing around while you walk thing. The way I was wearing it to minimise this, meant there were a lot of accidental shots of my shoes (I leave camera on for the whole time i have it with me) and battery life decreases as it wakes up and meters repeatedly with each step. Pretty much any non sling strap fixes this.

The second thing is tripod compatibility, which means not connecting via the tripod mount. Or rather, a tripod compatible mounting plate so that I can keep wearing the camera lens down rather than lens out, like what Peak Designs offer. The only thing with that is, the "standard plate" no longer comes with the slide strap. It now ships with an "anchor mount" that doesn't seem to be RC2 compatible. My question, since the RC2 plate I already own has a loop underneath for screwing it into place, is can that be used to attach an anchor link? Or maybe at the base of the thread that screws the plate to the camera - or would this potentially wear through and snap? Would I need to also buy a standard plate?

10. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,744
    I can't answer the question re using your current RC2 plate, but the original never came with an RC2 plate but an area Swiss compatible one, I bought an RC2 compatible plate separately. I have one anchor set to the left hand camera lug and the other to the tripod plate and it pretty much negates all the bouncing around and spinning you get with the BR straps.

You can get two RC2 compatible plates now looking on amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peak-Desig...pID=5198QrNbwNL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peak-Desig...pID=41cXomf5HBL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

11. Thumpermawer

Thumpermawer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Aha that help, thanks. I thought the standard plate was RC2. A little more googling reveals more compatibility info than you could shake a stick at. Might be of use to anyone else looking.

https://support.peakdesign.com/hc/en-us/articles/202143695-Manfrotto-Tripod-Compatibility

12. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,395
    Like the idea of the dual compatible one - not the price though :D

13. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,744
    Agreed, they know how to charge. Fortunately I got mine free ;)

14. Thumpermawer

Thumpermawer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    So I bought a PD Slide last week, just in time for them to admit there's a problem with some of the hardware! :facepalm:

"We began making V3 Anchors in August 2017, which featured a thinner cord that could fit directly in smaller camera eyelets. In Spring 2018 we got a few reports (7 total) of V3 Anchors prematurely wearing out and failing. To put things in perspective, we've sold over 1 million V3 Anchors, so the observed failure rate is 7 in 1,000,000 (or 1 in every 17,000 users). Though small, this failure rate is unacceptable for us and hence we're updating our Anchors to prevent this issue from happening to anybody else."

They are shipping out a full set of replacement anchors at no charge to anyone that has V3 anchors (which came with my Slide), which is an excellent response to a 7 in 1,000,000 chance of failure, especially as they didn't request proof of purchase. :clap:

Anchor Replacement Program 2018

15. rancidpunk

rancidpunk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,741
    Yea, PD are a pretty awesome company. Despite not needing it, I still want to buy one of their bags!