• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Strange wireless issue

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I have Sky broadband, up to 8mb. Wired I usually get about 6-7mb and the stats show that, but recently wirelessly, I am only receiving 1.4mb.
Even when I am in the same room as the router. The drop in speed happened some months ago, was blaming the neighbours until I noticed that if wired I was receiving what I paid for.
Does anyone know what could be happening, I have thin new house plasterboard walls, dect phone station beside router (but always has been).
Both pc and laptop have 1.4mb wireless, 6.4 wired, that's a hell of a difference. I guess it must be noise from somewhere, signal strengh is excellent. I may swap with my mates netgear sky router to see if the wireless is faulty, but you would think if it was, it would not work at all.
Anyone else experience this, sky said to purchase a speed booster, but it's a new router, checked netgears site and I already have the latest firmware.
Very frustrated :mad:

atr1981

Established Member
Wired network connections are always usually a lot faster IMHO.

I used to have my system wireless but now always have it wired for that exact reason.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Wired network connections are always usually a lot faster IMHO.

I used to have my system wireless but now always have it wired for that exact reason.

I didn't realise there would be such a difference, I can maybe blame this for my poor online ranking in COD4!

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Any other suggestions guys, I can't believe this is just the way it is!

atr1981

Established Member
An extract from a website:

Wireless "speeds" are a marketing gimmick. With a wired LAN your 100 Mbps full duplex speed is 100 Mbps both ways. With a wireless LAN, that 11 Mbps is both ways added up, meaning your throughput is only 5.5 Mbps. With a 54 Mbps wireless connection, your throughput is only 27 Mbps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom