Strange white dashed line on GT30 any ideas?

Buglemeister

Standard Member
Hi guys

Picked up a 46" GT30 last week and so far loving it.

Anyway I've got a strange white dashed line (looks like morse code) across the top of my screen (along the top black bar) when it's in 16:9. I've attached a few pics so you can see what I mean.

If I use zoom 1 then the black bars and the strange white dashed line disappear.

For background in case it matters I have an Xbox (HDMI 2) and Sky HD box (HDMI 1) connected through a Panasonic Home Cinema (SC-BTT370) to the TV (HDMI 2 ARC).

I'm using cheap HMDI 1.4 cables, as in £4 each.

So has anyone any ideas what might be causing this?
I'll double check tonight by swapping some cables and checking the other screen resolutions but I think it's only on 16:9.

Thanks

Attachments

• White lines on TV 1.jpg
    White lines on TV 1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 300
  • White lines on TV close up.jpg
    White lines on TV close up.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 432

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Hi guys

Picked up a 46" GT30 last week and so far loving it.

Anyway I've got a strange white dashed line (looks like morse code) across the top of my screen (along the top black bar) when it's in 16:9. I've attached a few pics so you can see what I mean.

If I use zoom 1 then the black bars and the strange white dashed line disappear.

For background in case it matters I have an Xbox (HDMI 2) and Sky HD box (HDMI 1) connected through a Panasonic Home Cinema (SC-BTT370) to the TV (HDMI 2 ARC).

I'm using cheap HMDI 1.4 cables, as in £4 each.

So has anyone any ideas what might be causing this?
I'll double check tonight by swapping some cables and checking the other screen resolutions but I think it's only on 16:9.

Thanks
Turn over scan on,
The easy to describe what your seeing is like a edge of a film, in other words the broadcasters havent sent the signal for 1:1 pixel mapping and think all tvs still over scan the image so they dont adjust the broadcast image. Thus you get random lines, dots etc at the top, bottom or sometimes sides of the screen.
Hope this helps. :smashin:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Turn over scan on,
The easy to describe what your seeing is like a edge of a film, in other words the broadcasters havent sent the signal for 1:1 pixel mapping and think all tvs still over scan the image so they dont adjust the broadcast image. Thus you get random lines, dots etc at the top, bottom or sometimes sides of the screen.
Hope this helps. :smashin:

Well there you go.:):smashin:

Buglemeister

Standard Member
Cheers Insanity, this site is great.

I'll give it a go tonight when I get home.

Just so I don't spend ages trying to find it, could someone give me an idea where the function to turn the 'over-scan' on is located?

Many thanks

Steve Kelly

yup, in the picture menu, under Advanced settings, near the bottom.
thanks Insanity, you just fixed my issue too! :)

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Cheers Insanity, this site is great.

I'll give it a go tonight when I get home.

Just so I don't spend ages trying to find it, could someone give me an idea where the function to turn the 'over-scan' on is located?

Many thanks

yup, in the picture menu, under Advanced settings, near the bottom.
thanks Insanity, you just fixed my issue too! :)
Glad I could help. :thumbsup:

Buglemeister

Standard Member
Wierdly just got an email back from the panasonic store who I'd emailed last night and they mentioned the over-scan thing but they also said that THX mode was only designed to be used while watching blu-rays and if using other sources can result in those lines appearing, never heard that before.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Panasonic, don't you just love them :).

Thx does map 1:1 and other picture modes do not, thats probably why they say it, i think overscan is normally on by default in all other modes.

Last edited:

deblee

Novice Member
weirdly these lines were also on some programmes and adverts on Sky recently even with overscan on
Seems to have been fixed over the weekend though

londonbornpaddy

Novice Member
Ive had this morse code line before too- usually when watching the news and they go to another reporter outside the studio. It made me panic at first but i always assumed it was a broadcast issue not a tv issue. Still happens once in a while but have learnt not to fret any more about my gorgeous telly.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Insanity make sense, as it were.
I have the overscan switched off (i.e. 1:1 pixel mapping) and see this on some analogue SD programmmes that were converted to digital. These lines are usually hidden and were used for things like Teletext.

Last edited:

mikej

I prefer to have overscan off, as it seems like you're effectively zooming in on the picture (so not getting 1:1 pixel mapping) - is this right ?

I only get the odd bit of code across the top from time to time when watching Freeview, so it's not really a major problem. I guess different sources (Freesat, Sky) may be different though ?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I prefer to have overscan off, as it seems like you're effectively zooming in on the picture (so not getting 1:1 pixel mapping) - is this right ?

For 1080p, yes. 720 gets a bit odd because HD ready TVs are actually 1366 x 768!

deblee

Novice Member

I only get the odd bit of code across the top from time to time when watching Freeview, so it's not really a major problem. I guess different sources (Freesat, Sky) may be different though ?

Sky is the same, perhaps why some users have overscan on for Sky but off for all other sources
For me I leave it on as I route all my sources through an av receiver anyway and can't be bothered to change it

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom