Strange video problem now solved

KEB1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I hope this is the right section but I wonder if anybody can give me a pointer to a very strange problem I am having with Silverlight video.
I have two PC both roughly the same spec, 2 core, 4GB etc one with a GT 210 video card and the main one with the 220. The "main" is connected directly to my router by LAN cable and the other in the next room is connected by a 200mbps powerline via the mains. Both perform exactly the same with the same internet speed and will show hi def video from Youtube etc faultlessly.
The problem comes when I watch Silverlight content on the second. The picture is good but as the camera pans, it's choppy and anything running across the screen "stutters". The sound is fine and there is no brake in signal but try as I might with new drivers, adjustments, screen resolution and hertz rates, I can't get rid of it. I have trawled the net and tried every thing going but it persists.
If I watch it on the Main pc no problem so I must be doing something wrong but I can't work out what.
Suggestions warmly welcomed.

Cheers,

Kristian.

Last edited:
Are you sure things like power settings etc are identical between the two machines? Have you tried swapping the two machines round?

Thanks Chaps,

As far as I can see, both PCs are configured in exactly the same way although one is running Win 7 Ultimate and the other Home Premium.
I connected the main PC from the router via the home plugs and the judder didn't appear so I have ruled them out.
I can only think it is a software or hardware issue with the second but I can't identify what it is.
Swapping the cards is a good idea although I am slightly reluctant to play about with the working one, just in case.

Last edited:
Right, after a bit of investigation I think I am getting somewhere. My statement that the PCs were the same is, it now turns out, not strictly true.

Sys info for the GT220 that gives no trouble is as follows :-

GPU processor: GeForce GT 220
Driver version: 314.07
Direct3D API version: 10.1
CUDA Cores: 48
Core clock: 635 MHz
Shader clock: 1380 MHz
Memory data rate: 810 MHz
Memory interface: 128-bit
Total available graphics memory: 1791 MB
Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB DDR2
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 767 MB

Where as for the juddering 210 I get :-

GPU processor: GeForce GT 210
Driver version: 314.07
Direct3D API version: 10.1
CUDA Cores: 16
Core clock: 589 MHz
Shader clock: 1402 MHz
Memory data rate: 1000 MHz
Memory interface: 64-bit
Total available graphics memory: 2559MB
Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB DDR3
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 1535 MB

As can be seen, some numbers are better for one than the other but vise-versa on others. However, the stand out number is the CUDA Cores being very much higher on the 220 than the 210. Could this be the key ?
I am more than happy to change the 210 for something better but want to make sure it is the cause before I spend the money. I must say that I did have another go at playing with the resolutions and matters did improve if I dropped lower than I had been with the 210 but this did have an effect on overall picture quality of course.

Any conclusions or suggestions gratefully received.

The 210 is low end but I'm surprised it would cause stuttering with Silverlight - I assume you have installed the current Nvidia drivers from their website? Swapping the cards round will confirm whether the card is at fault.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a look.
The drivers are fully up to date which was my first port of call in trying to fix the issue.
It is certainly an odd problem but dropping the res has improved things somewhat so the card is my focus at the moment.

An update. I have manage to fix the problem without resorting to changing parts. As mentioned before, I dropped the res back which improved the stutter but I was left with screen tearing that was almost worst than the judder. However, after a bit more online research, I discovered that the tearing was caused by lack of V sync. I turned on V sync and disabled Aero which completely removed the tearing. Now both machines show the same quality picture :clap:
Many thanks for the help and I hope this discussion will solve the problem for others that might be experiencing it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom