Strange vertical bars 32PW9617

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Mr T, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched Perfect Storm last night on Sky Movies and noticed 2 vertical bars at the back of the tube on the 32PW9617. One is about 6 inches inside the left hand side of the screen and the other is 6 inches inside the right hand side of the screen. It was most noticable when the picture was very bright or kind of greyish. Once I saw I couldnt forget about it. Is it something to do with the panny tube I wonder? Maybe the set is faulty? Tried differnet settings but to no avail. Anyone else noticed anything like this?

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sadly its the Panasonic tube... known problem... I live with it too!:(

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Not sure if that's correct. Mind you I have the 9607 and what I see is dark staining - a wide band on the right of the picture and a narrow one to the left. This is visible on the s-video input, very faintly - vitually invisible - on EXT2; and not visible at all on EXT1, 3 and 4.

It can't therefore be the tube, or it would appear on all inputs. Zacabeb posted somwhere about this I think and explained IIRC that its due to poor internal shielding. Not everybody suffers from it. So unlesss you're seeing something else, I would hesitate to blame the Quintrix tube.

This tube has come in for a lot of criticism mainly from 9617/9607 owners who felt cheated that a Philips set has a Panasonic tube. Personally I think the 36" tube performs really well. Geometry is very good, and picture artefacts where they appear are always beyond the control of the tube. Allied to pixel plus its a stormer. The new Philips tube might be better when it appears in 36" mode, but FTTB I'm very content with the Quintrix.

4. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. philipb you might be onto something as I previously had Sky digital connected to EXT3 and I didnt notice anything but I moved the connection up to EXT2 last night and sure enough the bars were there. I wonder why that is? Might be the shielding as you suggest on EXT2. I'm connecting with SCART-is that the same as S-video (excuse the ignorance).

5. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the bars too, on my 9607. I seem to have them on ext1, ext 2, ext 3 and terrestrial. don't have anything hooked up to ext 4, so don't know about that. (ext 1 - dvd rgb, ext 2 - sky rgb, ext 3 - vcr composite).

I find that as the camera pans across the screen the image goes light and dark as it passes through the dark bar areas. Have you noticed this.

I don't know how you manage to ignore this problem, though - it drives me mad :)

I've also noticed that the dark bar also lead to some colour staining on some pictures - normally a red/pinkish colour. Have you noticed this as well?

I'm glad other peoples sets have the same defects.... when I first raised this point about 4 weeks ago, people replied saying that they didn't have this problem Now I know others do have it :)

Look forward to your reply,

Matthew

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Matthew

This looks to be very much a problem that varies from set to set. The dark stain behaves the way you describe - it makes dark sections seems darker and stains darker colours such as grass. Bright parts of the picture overcome it. There's no colour staining on my set though.

As I said it only affects front Y/C input to the extent that it bothers me, and thankfully I use that input very rarely.

As to the scarts -

EXT1 - used for DVD; not visible
    EXT2 - used for Sky and if I really look for it I can occasionally see it in dark areas. But its so faint that the problem with grass is not apparent - Wimbledon, golf and cricket are great. If i just watch the programme instead of looking at the screen then I am not aware of it.
    EXT3 - perfect
    EXT4 - perfect

Terrestrial analogue is also OK.

I use 3 and 4 occasionally, and I have to say the composite performance on the 9607 is superb. It is almost as good as s-video, just a bit of tizzing around bright colours.

So I'm not as lucky as the guys who don't suffer from the dark bars, but luckier than you who seems to have it bad. This looks to me to be a build quality issue. If Zacabeb is right and it is to do with screening then the sets performance seems to depend on how your particular one was screwed together. I guess the only answer is to keep swapping till you get one that's OK - the good ones are out there. The big question is what proportion are dodgy?

You can see why I don't believe this to be an intrinsic problem with the Quintrix tube. Thinking where the s-video input is, EXT2 is the closest scart to that point, so that might explain why that one scart suffers. The others are maybe far enough away to be unaffected by stray signals. Well - just an idea.

Once or twice I have noticed the stains on the s-video input pan across the screen - I think it was immediately after the output source was switched and the bars dodged about while the signal stabilised. Don't know if that's any sort of clue. Maybe the more technical bods out there can help. I've tried changing sources, switching s-video cables but nothing helped.

I hope you get it sorted Matthew because I can well imagine it is ruining your enjoyment of what should be a stonking good set.

7. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    philipb

Cheers for the reply. You're right, this is the only thing that is spoiling my viewing. I wish I could just ignore it, but i can't :(

I work in a colour critical job and the engineer who visited said that this was why I could noticed it... most people probably wouldn't have noticed it. I wish I was one of those other people :)

Anyway, waiting for a replacement set to arrive, so we'll see how it goes then. If that ones no good, I'll get them to send another.

So much for philips quality cntrol then. I can't really believe the panasonic tubes are as good as the philips ones; there must be a reason why so many people are waiting for philips 36" tubes - I'm sure they're not waiting for the sake of it!

Do you think philips will eventually get the own 36" tubes into the 9607?

Cheers,

MAtthew

8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Philips have said apparently that all their sets will be fitted with the HD tube later this year, but i think they are giving preference to 28" and 32" sets. 36" models may well have to wait.

And don't take that crap from the engineer that you're oversensitive. Clearly some sets are worse than others and for £1500 or so you have every right to be sensitive.

9. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips dont manufacture a 36"tube afaik, dont think they are going to either. As for sets containing cybertubes by the end of the year i'll believe it when I see it. Any way dont you know the two tubes are manafactured with the same specs at the same plant and that there are no differences in peformance. 'Cos Philips says so and they never fib:devil:

10. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Actually, they are going to start making 36" CRT's now. Whether or not they will appear in Philips' own TV sets is questionable - as it seems they are forever out of leaded glass...

11. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Matthew

Last night I tried varying the contrast and brightness settings to see if the bars on the Y/C input would go away. In fact they very nearly did, so I would try it if I were you. I now have virtually no bars even on the Y/c and the brightness and contrast are very acceptable. I dropped the brightness and upped the contrast a little, got pretty much the same picture quality but now with almost no bars. They've now gone completely on the scarts.

I was passing Powerhouse in Swindon at lunchtime, so popped in to see their 9607 on demo. As usual all they were giving it was a pretty lousy analogue terestrial feed, but it was doing a good job with poor material - but more to the point no black bars. I switched channels, even went onto the externals even though there weren't hooked up, and not a black bar anywhere. So there are sets which don't suffer.

If I were you and the engineer fails to put it right, demand a new set but get them to set it up in the showroom so you can inspect it.

12. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    philipb

Hi mate,

I've tried altering the brightness etc and you're right they do tend to disappear the brighter you get, touble is i'm now so bright, i've got no shadow detail :( :(

The place where i brought my tv from have been really good so far. they are just waioting for philips to let them know when they can expect more stock.

The manager of the shop has willingly gotten involved and said that there was no way he was going to let me end up with a £2000 tv that I wasn't happy with, which i thought was nice.

he said that when the sets finally arrive, he's going to send one to their workshop, which is only a mile or so from my house, and i can go and set it working with a couple of engineers and all their tools and things to make sure that I am happy with it. if there are any problems with it the engineers will try to sort it there and then for me. At least some places still offer good service.

Thanks for all your help so far, mate. I think that if i persevere i'll get a good 'un :)

Matthew.

PS. have you looked at the dark bars when they are on a plain black background? I've noticed that they seem to be made up of darker pixels. it looks really strange and i can't think of any other way to describe it. it's like the tv is actually drawing the bars on the screen. it's strange...

13. btuckey

btuckey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr T, have you sorted out your vertical bar problem? For me tomorrow is crunch day, have to decide on a 9617 or Loewe Aconda!

14. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    btuckey... I managed to sort out my problem.... changed my SCARTS! Solved it for me. (Was using a cheapo SCART for Digibox to TV) DVD playback was fine (IXOS used here!) Seems that the Quintrix tube was blameless after all!

15. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Matthew

Glad to see your dealer is treating you fair. hope the new set is OK. I'll have a close look at the bars tonight.

Mr T - sorry i missed your question in the earlier post. S-video is the other name for Y/C. It connects via a 4 pin DIN plug and delivers video only with the luminance amd chrominance signals separated. A SCART - at least a fully wired one - delivers video and stereo audio, and the video is split into the separate RGB signals. SCARTS are only used in Europe. S-video is better than composite (a single phono type cable), but RGB SCART is much better than either of them. A good quality RGB SCART is about as good as component video and if you've spent the best part of £2k on a TV don't skimp on the cabling. AS rct discovered they can make a big difference.

16. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, no I haven’t managed to sort out my black bar problem on sky digital but I watched a DVD last night and I watched the whole time to see the vertical bars but I couldn’t. So therefore it couldn’t be the tube. I’m using basic scarts to connect Sky to TV although I think my DVD scarts are cheapo ones as well although I’m using good IXOS coaxial cable to get Dolby (which now works thanks to previous posts). I'm going to upgrade my scarts and see what happens.

Anyone any ideas on sparking effect around logos? I remember when I first hooked up the TV and turned on the Sky guide, the yellow around the blue text appeared to be all dotty but didnt sparkle or twinkle. Now it does and parts of the page seem to flicker badly. Anyone any ideas or experiencing this as well? I tried resetting to factory default, 100HZ and double lines but no effect. I dont fancy this flicker at all. I can live with the vertical bars if I have to but not this flicker. Any ideas?

17. btuckey

btuckey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Guys, I took the plunge today and bought a 32pw9617 from John Lewis in Soton. I got them to price match with Sound & Vision at £1250 for set, stand and delivery. Not bad as their ticket price is £1595! Keeping in mind the above comments on scart leads I had a look in JL. They had two IXOS', one round and green the other flat and pink. Both were 1.5m long and £39.95. Which should I choose as the packaging notes were pretty useless?

18. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mr. T - it sounds like you have Sky set to output Composite rather than RGB... try checking your picture settings in the digibox.

btuckey - the SCARTs which I am guessing are the 126AV (round) and 141AV (flat) are as good as each other in terms of quality. However, the round ones have better shielding, so if you have a large amp or speakers nearby then I would go for the 126AV. Out of interest I have the Flat 141AV mainly coz I got fed up of having pythons at the back of my TV:D

19. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i have philips tv with horizontal lines tha follow moving objects and vertical stripes that are apperaing in all zoom modes

pile of crap - sony next time.

20. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    You get what you pay for with scarts. Go for the best you can afford, but you should expect to spend about £50 for a 1.5m cable.

Having said that the IXOS models mentioned will probably be OK. I'm not convinced that the black bar problem is so scart related that a £50 cable will be better than a £35 one- but avoid the cheap and nasty ones. I alway bin the cables that are supplied with new kit, including s-video and audio. They're always rubbish. My black bar only affects the front Y/C input, and a tiny bit on EXT2. Noticed when watching a b&w film last night on Y/C that the bar only became visible against a dark background - it disappeared against a light background. You can vary its intensity by playing around with the brightness setting. I am using a very high quality s-video cable. so I can't believe that's the cause.

Anyway, I'm so impressed with the picture on the 9607 I am going to try a top of the range scart to squeeze out the last ounce of quality - the TV deserves it. I'll see if it removes the trace effect from EXT2.

21. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I take delivery of a 9607 tomorrow. Saga price match ended up at £1503 inc.delivery-1 year warranty.

Advice please
    4 scart sockets on this set- I need four
    1. Sky plus
    2. Video.
    3.DVD
    4. Visual setting up of Yamaha amp. on screen.

There are 2 RGB scart + 2 others
    Which items use RGB-do they function exactly the same
    which foes into what is left?

Also I have good quality scart leads-is there a special type of scart lead for RGB

I do find the comments about the tube disconcerting and I also
    am disappointed with the size of the rear speaker mounting holes
    The screw system I have are far too big to fit-a filing down is necessary but really should not be necessary if attention was paid to detail.
    NJ

22. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering, I've resigned myself to not using EXT2 due to the blank bar problem and have moved Sky Digital to EXT3. Is this an RGB connection like EXT1? The set up I have is:

EXT1 DVD
    EXT2 nothing due to black bars
    EXT3 Sky Digital
    EXT4 Video

Which EXTs are RGB?

Is this optimal or anyone any suggestions. Also, I changed Sky digibox picture settings to output RGB but it made little difference to the picture. Is there anything else I should do to get the most out of this TV picturewise (black bars aside)?

23. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Herewith my two pennyworth.

EXt 1 and 2 are RGB capable, 2 is also s-video switchable. 3 and 4 are composite only. There are additional s-video and composite sockets on the side of the set plus audio.

Mr T - I have the same connections as you except Sky is EXT2 - I have a very faint bar on this which is not noticeable when viewing programmes. Normally I would say get sky off 3 - composite only - because you're losing RGB, but the composite quality on this set is amazing. I tried some DVDs the other night on the Panasonic E20 using AV1 out set to RGB and connected to EXT3 on the 9607. The picture was really superb. So if your bars are too intrusive on EXT2 then 3 or 4 will be a reasonable alternative. For this reason I'm not too fussed about having dark bars on the s-video because I just don't need to use it except for setting up the E20 to record DVDs.
    Setting the Sky output to RGB won't make much/any difference because the scart socket is composite only. What you could do is buy a scart splitter and route both Sky and the DVD through this into EXT1 (actually you couldn't do this if you have EXT1 set to digital audio in unless you use an audio switcher - all a bit involved really). Do you have dark bars on the s-video input? This problem is very variable, including several lucky s**s who don't suffer at all.

NJ

The received wisdom is that the dark bar problem is not down to the much maligned Quintrix. It does not appear on all sets and,where it does, not on all sockets. Actually this tube is very good.

As to best set up, you have a tricky choice to make. Normally I would say the following

EXT1 - DVD, set the input to digital audio, and connect the DVD to the set with a coaxial audio cable to get dolby 5.1

EXT2 - Sky

EXT3 - video

EXT4 - Yamaha set up

You could of course reverse 3 and 4.
    Your problem is that you have Sky+ which can output dolby 5.1, but only EXT1 on the TV can accept a digital audio input. Because 5.1 broadcasts on Sky are still few and far between I would still hook it up to EXT2 and settle for pro logic as a compromise.

You will need to make sure that the DVD and Sky+ are set to output RGB - this is usually easy to do. Post again if you're unsure.

Your scarts should be OK. What you need are fully wired scarts. some only carry composite or Y/C video. You can also get scarts which only carry RGB video on the principle that removing all the other connections cuts down on interference. Well maybe, and then you have to pipe in the audio separately. How much did you pay for the scarts? What make are they? It might say on them that they are fully wired. The 9607 is clever enough to know the signal being fed in, so connect up your DVD and Sky, having set them to output RGB, and when you switch them on and select EXT1 or 2 on the TV remote you'll see at the top left (as you look at it) of the screen the signal being input - RGB or Y/C or CVBS (composite).

Persevere with the speakers - I got mine hooked up to my stands eventually.

Assuming you don't have a rogue set, then you won't regret the choice of the 9607 - a storming good TV.

24. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Philipb for the advice.

I'm still a little confused on how best to hook up Sky to EXT2. Your post said that setting the Sky output to RGB won't make much/any difference because the scart socket is composite only. I dont have Sky+, just basic Sky Digital Pace box (they still don't sell Sky+ in Ireland) so will RGB output make any difference as I can't pump the sound in seperately? If I get an RGB SCART will I lose the sound or will it improve the picture and sound quality?

Also, could you post the picture settings which you think are best as I can't seem to find settings I'm totally comfortable with.

I havent tested s-video input yet so not sure if I get bars there.

25. btuckey

btuckey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to take delivery of a 32pw9617c and need to purchase some decent scart leads. Can anybody please tell me the lengths required from Ext1 to the top shelf of the Philips stand and Ext2 to the bottom shelf? Thanks, philipb for the above, like Mr T I also have a Sky+ box and a DVD player. I don’t want to loose the digital output on either so a splitter is probably the way to go. Incidentally, I notice that programmes such as ‘Taggart’ display the Dolby logo at the start. Is this for export or is the sat version actually in Pro-Logic or 5.1?

Cheers.

26. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mr. T... EXT2 is RGB capable and setting picture as such in the Digibox will make a difference. You will still get sound using RGB. Will post my pic settings later.

btuckey... 0.75m will be just fine for both inputs (minimal slack). As for the Dolby Logo... it can be used to show either Digital 5.1 or Prologic (or anything in between!) but with Taggart and others I suspect it's Pro-Logic. In any case AFAIK Sky + only outputs the Dolby Digital stream from its film channels, others will just get a std. digital stream. You'll be surprised how much stuff is in Prologic just leave it on and you';; see what I mean!

27. btuckey

btuckey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RCT – many thanks!

I take it that Prologic is available from either the scart as encoded stereo, or via the digital connection. As 5.1 is only available from the latter, it would therefore be best to use the digital input permanently as this avoids having to switch connections.

28. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    btuckey: Exactly... the std. digital stream (PCM) will also carry the prologic encoding on stereo signals.

Mr T: Picture settings are often a matter of personal preference but here goes: Brighness: around 40%
    Contrast: 70 - 85% (still experimenting)
    Sharpness: One notch above nothing
    Dynamic Contrast: Min
    DNR: Min, although I do sometimes switch it off if a signal is especially high quality.
    Pixel Plus: ON:D

I also have my digibox contrast output set to Medium although I am considering changing it to Low and using a TV contrast setting in the upper range of what's above.

Hope this is of some help.

29. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Mr T

If you have Sky hooked up to EXT3 as you say you do to avoid the dreaded black bars, then setting the output on the sky box to RGB will not matter because EXT3 on the 9607 is composite only. As I said its a very good composite picture, but composite none the less.

To get all the benefits of RGB you will have to put the sky box on EXT2, assuming you leave the DVD on 1, because only 1 and 2 can take a RGB input. I too do not have Sky+, so I make do with pro logic from EXT2.

Although I rarely use the s-video input on the set, the black bars have been bugging me just knowing they are there. I also decided my picture settings needed re-calibrating anyway because I've been mucking about with them randomly. I set things up again using the AVIA test DVD. I was a bit surprised by some of the settings that I came up with. I haven't got the exact details to hand at the moment - I'll post them tonight when I get home.

Brightness was the major change, it is now down to about 25% I think. It takes a bit of getting used to, but at higher settings the blacks do get washed out. I recommend you set brightness very low then increase slowly until it is acceptable. 40% would be an absolute maximum I think. There is a spin off benefit from this which was what I was looking for in the first place. The low brightness has removed the very faint black bar from EXT2, and reduced it on the s-video input although its still there at times. If you have black bars, try to get a black screen then ramp the brightness up and down. You will find a position where the bar will disappear. Above this it will get more and more noticeable as the background becomes greyer. This is the basis of the brightness test routine on the AVIA disc. You get a black screen with two moving black bars which appear slightly "less" black than the rest of the screen. You adjust brightness until one of the bars just disappears and the other is just visible. As I said this was at a very much lower brightness then I had been using. Worth a try if you have black bars.

The contrast setting was difficult. I could not seem to set it high enough to get the blooming and other effects that you're supposed to avoid. So a high contrast setting would seem to be OK. At maximum you do lose definition especially of bright objects (try the rich setting on smart picture and see what I mean. This sets contrast to 100%). 80% should be fine.

Sharpness - off

Colour - 50%, and turn off colour enhancement

Hue/tint - playing with this seemed to make no difference on the test DVD, so leave it at 50%

DNR - off

Dyn contrast - off

Pixel plus - on of course, but if the halo effect bugs you at all try double lines when you have a really good source such as a top quality DVD. The picture is almost as good and no digital artefacts, but you do get the dreaded 50 Hz flicker.

As rct says these settings are very much personal preference, but a good rule of thumb is to get brightness, colour and contrast as low as you can; pixel plus is all the sharpness you need; and everything else suck it and see.

sorry for the long post.

30. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks rct and philipb for all the advice. I really appreciate it as I'm determined to beat those evil black bars and other picture probs. I've tried all sorts of settings and found I could eliminate one problem only to encounter another. For example, I turned active control to max thinking the set would do the adjustment for me only to find the dreaded halo effect on people. Then I figured it would be disappointing and a waste not to use these advanced settings (including DNR and Dyn contrast) so I found myself turning them on despite myself. Then I got into a muddle and wasnt sure what settings were good and what werent. I also found some stations were fine on nearly any setting while others werent. The worst was BBC1 the other night watching Eastenders. No matter what settings I used the characters skin wouldn't look natural and all the colours looked washed out. maybe it was just a reflection of how dreary Eastenders is! Also, on some settings the sky guide was glarry while this settings was good on some stations. Then I figured I ask you guys for advice. Thanks I'll adjust the set tonight and post tomorrow. I know picture settings are subjective but subjective rules of thumb are very useful. I suppose we can't have it all. Maybe in a few years they'll make a set which will be perfect in every way.