Strange text message

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just revived the following

FreeMsg:U are subscribed to Total Solves video service costing £3 per week until u send stop to 85878. HelpLine € 01618841078 16+ ONLY.

Now I have no idea what is
I've not signed up for anything and outside if immediate friend and family don't give number out

I'm with three and rarely use phone other than texts etc

Any experience of this ?

No but I regularly get emails from a nigerian who wants to deposit hundreds of thousands of pounds in my account.

Lol. Im still waiting for mine

I thought ignore it but a quick google (currently in hospital so unable fully research) seems to suggest persons been subscribed up

How would that be possible ?

Should add. No number associated just sent from free msg

Cheers
I'll ignore then.
Thanks

I suspect they either want you to text them which will sign you up to something, or ring them on a massively expensive "help" line.

Just revived the following

FreeMsg:U are subscribed to Total Solves video service costing £3 per week until u send stop to 85878. HelpLine € 01618841078 16+ ONLY.

Now I have no idea what is
I've not signed up for anything and outside if immediate friend and family don't give number out

I'm with three and rarely use phone other than texts etc

Any experience of this ?

http://skillplay-ng.com/contactus.php

http://skillplay-ng.com/index.html

Report here:

Make a complaint - PhonepayPlus

Found this thread Texts from 85878 Page 6 of 6

Cheers

Appears a scam but one in which people sign you up regardless

I called the number from that thread 02035981581 and spoke to a very helpful and nice lady whose tone led me to believe I was yet another person calling about the same thing

My subscription has been cancelled and refund will be processed

She even stated she herself was a victim of this
Appears can be someone putting on wrong digit online or a banner ad being clicked, well I really use my phone online so not sure how or why I was signed up but hopefully sorted

@dUnKle

Personally I would call your phone provider to get it stopped and any charges refunded. I've had a quick look through the thread you linked and could see no evidence that anyone calling the 020 number was actually getting resolution.

Many report, like you, getting through to a nice helpful lady who promises to stop, refund, remove from list but there are no follow up posts saying it actually happened. Sounds like it might be part of the scam to me. Con artists commonly use apparently helpful and sympathetic behaviour to string their victims along.

Hopefully, I'm mistaken but it sounds a little unreal, sending refunds by cheque etc. and needing to collect even more personal information to be able to do so. Could be genuine but sounds might fishy to my cynical nature.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited by a moderator:
@Dunkie,

Personally I would call your phone provider to get it stopped and any charges refunded. I've had a quick look through the thread you linked and could see no evidence that anyone calling the 020 number was actually getting resolution.

Many report, like you, getting through to a nice helpful lady who promises to stop, refund, remove from list but there are no follow up posts saying it actually happened. Sounds like it might be part of the scam to me. Con artists commonly use apparently helpful and sympathetic behaviour to string their victims along.

Hopefully, I'm mistaken but it sounds a little unreal, sending refunds by cheque etc. and needing to collect even more personal information to be able to do so. Could be genuine but sounds might fishy to my cynical nature.

Cheers,

Nigel

From another Cynic you raise some good points, just for clarity, the 020 No. is the Company 'Global Awareness' who apparently are the ones who apparently set up such schemes but are a Private Company and whilst have a fancy address it's just shared offices, although no indication of any wrong doing, it could be one person sat in a 6x6 room and a telephone and to me the site looks like a dodgy template but also no indication of anything wrong but there's not a lot of info for a Company that's been trading for 3yrs and only info on 1 employee (Director/Manager) and £109 in the Bank....but apparently that No. came from Vodaphone so 'could' be considered legit....time will tell.

Although if you go back a few pages in that thread linked there are some references to refunds but all a bit dodgy and no way to confirm if refund stories are real....

Here are the 'Offices' of the originating Text Message....and the Ltd Company (TotalSolve Limited) who owns the site is another lone trader registered at another 'mailing' office with a £1 in the bank....

Personally I'd do what Nigel suggests and go through your provider as a legitimate course of action and report to the link I provided earlier.

It might sound like a strange question, but have you entered any competitions recently by text?

Attachments

• 290.JPG
    290.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
On phone to three and in conference call with that 020 number
They say they just purchased the details via marketing company !
This lady much more rude than the one last night ! Don't think likes the officialness of the three guy who is very good at this

Quite fun to listen to

Started 3 months again !
Total of 36 pounds over 3 months !
12 messages in total have been sent
Thinking about it I've seen these messages and ignored them !
Anyone similar don't ignore them

Just for anyone else who has this crop up or maybe getting messages week in week out and just ignoring them, double check statements etc (or balance if pay and go)

I have zero idea how I "opted in" to this scheme and the women today just said they purchase peoples numbers, but in three months I was 39 out of pocket !

I have just,may paypal, recieved the refund

These people subscribe you without permission. I just called and asked them to take me off and refund any money.

Everyone should complain to The premium number regulators, Pay Plus by calling 0300 303 0020.

Call them and help out everyone!

I have joined this forum specifically to share my experience with you about this, having just found out these criminals were taking £3 a week from me.

As others have done, I phoned the 0161 number (at 8pm) and a very pleasant lady took my call (she was in a call centre). I complained that I hadn't subscribed and that I wanted them to stop immediately and issue me with a refund. She tells me the texts will stop and I will get a refund to my paypal account in 5 working days. Based on what other people here have said, I hope to get my cash back.

In the meantime I asked her the name of the limited company she works for and which has been sending these texts. The company is Totalsolve Ltd. A quick search on Companies House reveals that the company's sole shareholder and director is Mr Simon Elrick, whose date of birth is 01/09/1986. Sadly the returns on Companies House don't show his home address, otherwise I'd be paying him a personal visit. The business is based at Peter House, Oxford Street, Manchester M1 5AN. I'm hoping this isn't just a registered office and they actually operate from this office, as I work in Manchester and will be paying him a visit once I have my money back.

I'll keep you posted....

My son got one of these messages at the weekend saying he'll be charged *£4.50 per week. There was no number on the text. I deleted the message and will be keeping an eye out for any money leaving my account.

Flag it to Phone Pay Plus.... Industry regulator. Chances are they're doing a blanket spam campaign and counting on people not complaining!

Hello guys. Was anyone able to get a refund from these Global tech guys ? They have asked for either a PayPal account or postal address. Sounds doggy.

Hello guys. Was anyone able to get a refund from these Global tech guys ? They have asked for either a PayPal account or postal address. Sounds doggy.
Why do they bark ?

I suspect they either want you to text them which will sign you up to something, or ring them on a massively expensive "help" line.

Those 'premium' text numbers can end up costing as much as £10 a text :eek:
Plus of course they then have your mobile number on a list of 'actives' that can then be used or sold onto other scammers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom