Quantcast

Strange stain on a 77C8 LG Oled

tankalf

Standard Member
Hi guys,
from some months I have a 77" Lg C8 Oled Tv.

Watching some Tv Shows, I noticed a stain , a dark stain, in the left of the image, specially with beige and dark colors.

Please look, I hope you can see it:

What do you think?
It doesn't seem an image retention, what could be?

Thanks a lot, and please tell me if you need more photos or tests...

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Do you see it in all content? change sources and double check.
Run some grey scale and one color slides (you will find them on youtube, type oled test patterns). If there is something, this will flush it...

Last edited:

fat jez

Does your TV get direct sunlight, or a reflection of sunlight?

tankalf

Standard Member
No, these photos were taken at night, without any light on.

During the day there is a big windows in the left side of the Tv, but no direct sunlight

tankalf

Standard Member
Ok guys, I made some tests with colors patterns and grey scale.
With full colors, no stain is visible. All seems perfect, without any dead pixel.

But with 3% 4% and 10% the stain is visible in the same position, then disappear increasing the %.
What the hell can it be?

Thanks a lot

Robofobo

I am afraid to tell you it’s start of screen burn in. Please contact lg as soon as possible, otherwise later they will take it as screen burn and provide you zero help. Hope you are in warranty. React quickly as soon as possible. 77 inch comes for huge amount. Fingers crossed, hope it will be sorted soon by lg otherwise it will get worse that’s how my mate 65 c7 burn in started, they told him he is out of warranty and he will need to pay £1400 for the repair. Somehow he is still using his the burn in screen later this year he will upgrade his burn in screen.

tankalf

Standard Member
It doesn't seem a bur in, because there isn't something special visible, it's only a generic stain, with a non specific shape...

sagaris99

I am afraid to tell you it’s start of screen burn in. Please contact lg as soon as possible, otherwise later they will take it as screen burn and provide you zero help. Hope you are in warranty. React quickly as soon as possible. 77 inch comes for huge amount. Fingers crossed, hope it will be sorted soon by lg otherwise it will get worse that’s how my mate 65 c7 burn in started, they told him he is out of warranty and he will need to pay £1400 for the repair. Somehow he is still using his the burn in screen later this year he will upgrade his burn in screen.
What part of this is burn in? The fact it looks like a burn mark?

Robofobo

Let me clear both terms firstly as you might already know that Image retention is the temporary appearance of a ghostly residue of bold static image elements on the screen. This disappears over time when you’re not watching the same content that caused the retention, or when an OLED TV recycles itself when you power it down. Screen burn is permanent (or extremely long term) image retention that never disappears (or that takes weeks or months to disappear).
Above I meant that’s how Sereen burn starts.

sagaris99

Let me clear both terms firstly as you might already know that Image retention is the temporary appearance of a ghostly residue of bold static image elements on the screen. This disappears over time when you’re not watching the same content that caused the retention, or when an OLED TV recycles itself when you power it down. Screen burn is permanent (or extremely long term) image retention that never disappears (or that takes weeks or months to disappear).
Above I meant that’s how Sereen burn starts.
Oleds don't get screen burn.
They only get image retention, either tempory or permanent due to the accelerated aging of pixels.

Screen burn as a term is used as the symptoms are similar to plasma burn, but totally different in how it's come about.

You're confusing the terms and the causes.

Robofobo

Oled Screen burn in commonly used for permanently image retention at various forums. I don’t know what’s confusing in it. I wish no have it after so much paying for their TVs, can be very stressful. I am in line for buying oled but screen burn in ( or permanent image retention) always worries me.

sagaris99

Oled Screen burn in commonly used for permanently image retention at various forums. I don’t know what’s confusing in it. I wish no have it after so much paying for their TVs, can be very stressful. I am in line for buying oled but screen burn in ( or permanent image retention) always worries me.
Yes - it's commonly used as a term because the symptoms are the same, but there is no 'burning' anywhere. The actual term for it is Permanent Image Retention, or accelerated ageing. By pushing static images on the screen for extended time periods (say the red BBC News bar), you prematurely age the sub pixels (red in this case) quicker than any of the other red ones across the screen, and the other colours). This will then show (after a good while) as darker, or different colours compared to the rest of the panel.

What OP is experiencing is not screen burn, or image retention. It looks to be a manufacturing defect in the panel exacerbated by use. This is not the beginning of image retention, as the pixels haven't been aged prematurely here.

Robofobo

Yes - it's commonly used as a term because the symptoms are the same, but there is no 'burning' anywhere. The actual term for it is Permanent Image Retention, or accelerated ageing. By pushing static images on the screen for extended time periods (say the red BBC News bar), you prematurely age the sub pixels (red in this case) quicker than any of the other red ones across the screen, and the other colours). This will then show (after a good while) as darker, or different colours compared to the rest of the panel.

What OP is experiencing is not screen burn, or image retention. It looks to be a manufacturing defect in the panel exacerbated by use. This is not the beginning of image retention, as the pixels haven't been aged prematurely here.
I hope its the manufacturing defect in his panel, get his replacement soon. very similarly case happens with my friend Oled even thought it was 2017 C7 eventual image retained permanently. hoping best for him.

Pug72

I agree with the previous post about maybe sun light hitting the screen, either direct or reflected.

A manual pixel refresh fixes it and would be worth a try anyway regardless of cause.

butchbr73

Standard Member
Just a question here... does image retention or premature aging show on a black screen since the pixels are completely turned off? or a near black screen such as 3%? Interesting.. Could be some sort of light shadowing from something in the room, including the phone or small light source somewhere?

Last edited:

tankalf

Standard Member
Thanks for your replies, but may be there is some misunderstanding...
in the photos you see above, with the 3% and 4% grey pattern, the room is completely dark, there is no sun, no lights, nothing on in the room. And the photos are taken without flash.

How many pixel refresh on the Oled do you think I have to make?
The seller told me to try 20 cycles on the oled menu.
So do I have to make a manual refresh cycle every night when I turn off the tv for 20 days?

Thanks

fat jez

1 should be enough to see an improvement. 20 is ridiculous

Paul D

Don't do more than a couple of full pixel refreshes.
It either goes or it doesn't.
Your patch look like a deposition/evaporation error. These errors are what cause the general patchiness/banding at the lower IRE's.
The fact it disappears when the IRE rises shows it's a uniformity error.
If that is the case there is nothing that will fix it.
I have a near perfect panel other than a light patch (at the lower IRE range) towards the top right of my panel.
It is rarely seen, so it is something i can more than live with because the panel is so good otherwise.