Strange Sound Problem with Switch/Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickp8

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just got a popcorn A110. When I hook up the A110 direct to the TV via HDMI cable I get sound when playing movies. However if I connect it to my 4:2 HDMI splitter I get no sound via the TV.

It is not a cable issue or problem with HDMI splitter as I still get sound via HDMI on the TV from the other sources connected to the HDMI splitter.

Anyone else had this problem? Anyone know what could be causing the sound not to work when connected via the splitter?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird one, but I think it's a bit harsh to blame the PCH and not the splitter.

If it works when connected directly to the TV then you can only really blame the splitter.

Did you switch the PCH AFTER you plugged it into the splitter?

Try connecting the PCH to the splitter then powering the PCH off and back on again.

Have tried that makes no difference.

Something else I just tried is I kept the Popcorn connected to the splitter. I played a movie. Videos is fine but no sound.
I removed the HDMI cable going from the splitter to the TV.
I removed the HDMI cable from the back of the Popcorn and plugged in the HDMI cable gonig to the TV and got sound.
I then reconnected the HDMI from the splitter to the Popcorn.
Reconnected the TV HDMI to the splitter.

Sound stayed on! But when I stop the movie and restart it or try another move no sound again.

Spent a few hours on this now. Tried 4 different HDMI cables, tried different settings etc but still the same.

Anyone else have any ideas? :lease:

Using different HDMI cables will not help.

In order for you to hear sound on the TV the handshake between the source and the TV has to confirm that 2.0 sound is required, not 5.1 or anything else.

That would be why the complex cable swapping you did earlier worked.

It sounds like you have a matrix switch there (4:2) rather than a splitter and it seems that the handshake between the source and the matrix switch is not setting the sound type properly.

What is on the other output btw?

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
This sort of issue is all too common when you get into splitters, switches and matrix switching.

Unfortunately there is a reason why some products like Gefen for example cost more as they tend to work properly with a wider range of hardware.

Doesn't mean you can't get away with spending less a lot of the time but if it doesn't work then often the only option is to try a different switch.

I suggest you bring this problem over to the cables forum and post in the HDMI section, you'll probably get a response there from Joe Fernand who knows more about this sort of problem than most.

Would you be able to move the post to the HDMI cables and switches forum for me? Thanks.

Decided to tidy up the messy wiring behind the AV cabinet and when I plugged everything back in at the end the sound from the Popcorn was suddenly working through the splitter. All working now how I wanted it to, 2 chn sound for the TV via HDMI and 5.1 for when the PJ is in use via Optical to the AMP :)

Last edited:
Excellent, glad it is all sorted.

I'll close this one for you now then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom