Question Strange sound from the speakers Marantz NR1403

Ganeshi83

Novice Member
Reaction score
I connected my TCL Roku TV to the Marantz NR1403 through HDMI ARC and whenever I am playing a movie over netflix, there is a weird alienish sound coming out of the speakers. No problem when connected through optical. Problem with the TV or the receiver?

Where's Ripley when you need her?...……….:rotfl:

I connected my TCL Roku TV to the Marantz NR1403 through HDMI ARC and whenever I am playing a movie over netflix, there is a weird alienish sound coming out of the speakers. No problem when connected through optical. Problem with the TV or the receiver?

Is the sound also coming from the TV as well as the speakers, which if out of sync can cause the odd effect you are hearing.

Is the sound also coming from the TV as well as the speakers, which if out of sync can cause the odd effect you are hearing.

If using ARC then the TV's own speakers wouldn't be in use. ARC doesn't allow both the TV's speakers and the AV receiver to handle the audio simultaneously.

I have attached a recording of the sound that is coming out. The sound is coming out of only the speakers connected to the AVR.

Attachments

• Recording.mp3
    275.4 KB · Views: 252
It's just Flipper the Netflix dolphin riding a tractor :lesson:

There are other reports of similar weird sounds in association with DD+ formatted audio accessed via ARC, usually while being accessed via an LG TV. There's no reported fix for this issue though, but maybe consider contacting your TVs manufacturer?

There's a workaround. You can access audio via the TV's optical output as opposed to using ARC. This will however result in you being unable to get DD+ and you'd need to settle for regular Dolby Digital instead. This isn't really an issue unless wanting to output Atmos from a TV, but your AV receiver isn't Atmos capable anyway.

Last edited:
Its a TCL Roku TV. For now I have hooked up the AVR using optical. Just wanted to make good use of the built in features and reduce a wire :).

Switch your output to anything except DD+ on your Roku. Do this under tv audio setting. I had the exact same problem and this fixed it.

I have attached a recording of the sound that is coming out. The sound is coming out of only the speakers connected to the AVR.
Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having the exact same issue, but with a new LG OLED C2 and Marantz NR1403. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom