• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Strange Sky router problem

jet_andy

When I first got my Sky Netgear wireless router it seemed fine on a quick test, so I set it up with the port forwarding and so on that I needed. I found though that it would lock up after about an hour, and need the power switching on and off to reset it. I complained to Sky and eventualy got a replacement. I used my Linkseys one n the meantime.
When the replacement arrived about 3-4 weeks ago I put it in and kept testing it. All seemed fine, never locked. However, I hadn't needed to use the port forwarding, so hadn't set it up.
This weekend I wanted to do some downloading, so set up the port forwarding. You guessed it - router locks up after a while. Can't even access it's setup page. I went in and disabled the ports I'd set up, now it seems fine again. Think I'll probably revert back to the Linkseys again, as I can't be bothered trying to explain to Sky, but wondered if anyone else had similar problems?

drummerjohn

Nope - and I have two of them. One is 12 months old and the other about two months now. I have found them to be an awesome product.

Both do port forwarding for FTP, DMW, Ventrilo, Utorrent etc.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
check whether uPNP is enabled on the sky router, apparently their is a bug with the Sky firmware that causes lockups when this is enabled. supposedly a frimware update with bugfix due out soon.

www.skyuser.co.uk is always a good place for SKY BB releated probs

When I first got my Sky Netgear wireless router it seemed fine on a quick test, so I set it up with the port forwarding and so on that I needed. I found though that it would lock up after about an hour, and need the power switching on and off to reset it. I complained to Sky and eventualy got a replacement. I used my Linkseys one n the meantime.
When the replacement arrived about 3-4 weeks ago I put it in and kept testing it. All seemed fine, never locked. However, I hadn't needed to use the port forwarding, so hadn't set it up.
This weekend I wanted to do some downloading, so set up the port forwarding. You guessed it - router locks up after a while. Can't even access it's setup page. I went in and disabled the ports I'd set up, now it seems fine again. Think I'll probably revert back to the Linkseys again, as I can't be bothered trying to explain to Sky, but wondered if anyone else had similar problems?

Yes, similar problems - see my recent thread;
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518344
:)
Not thought to ask for a replacement router - will give it a go, thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom