Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Strange sky+ problem - Help!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by zztop, Oct 17, 2004.

1. zztop

zztop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky+ was playing up a bit lately by playing shows back sometimes with a 'stutter' - then other times the same show would be okay. Sometimes it would also lock up during playback leaving a still on the screen, but the discplay wouldn't show how many mins we were into the show anymore - just the Sky+ logo whizzing around (on screen). It would sometimes cause those recordings at the top of the planner to become 0% failed recordings.

I figured the hard drive was fragmented. I did the housekeeping trick to no joy. Then a full reset which was pretty much the same. Then I figured I'd try the new installation - but now I can't even get the Sky+ back and I'm being told to call for assistance. I did this before and they just told me to unplug it and remove the card for a few minutes, then plug it back in. But now I fear I may have a bigger problem.

Anyone that has a solution or idea, please help as there's a ton of stuff the family will miss - and I'll get the blame!

2. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    i had exactly the same problem for a while the problem is in fact small fraction of a second losses in signal that then cause the playback of recordings to lock. this is because on signal 2 the siganl strength is not as hi as signal and can drop alot leading to a loss in signal.

i switched the LNB cables going into the back to see if signal 2 was still weaker than signal 1 to see if it was the siganl comming from the dish or a problem with the box. found it was the box. then i went to the services menu option 1 LNB and switched all the ons to off then went back in and pressed the red button to reset LNB settings.

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The what happened? I can't stand the suspense.
    :confused:

4. zztop

zztop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked the signal strength and input 1 looks fine, but 2 has no strength or signal quality listed and it's lock indicator is 'not locked'.

So, I swapped the dish inputs at the back of the box and I get the same result! Input 2 is still non existent. Meaning the input signals from the dish are fine, but the box won't use input 2.

Have I possibly 'turned off' Sky+ when I did a system reset?

5. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had this EXACT same problem. No signal on input 2 (eventually). It started with the same symptoms as you, locking on playback etc. It got worse over a period of 2 months or so. Eventually the whole system crashed and my planner was totally empty (I lost EVERYTHING!). I called Sky and they replaced the unit. I had a V2 Pace box. I suspect Sky know about this. Problem is my warranty runs out this weekend and I'm worried it might happen again. I think Sky should give at least 90 days warranty on replacement units.

I'm sure it was coincidence but I also had a problem with my planner only showing 10% free, no matter what I deleted etc. I did a planner rebuild and got back some (reported) space, but then this started to happen. Whilst on the phone (just before I got the unit replaced) the guy said it would be a waste of time to do a complete system reset. I asked a few questions, after reading this forum, and I got the impression they knew exactly what the problem was. Hmmm.

6. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    anyway did all this as mentioned eairlier and it now works fine no part recorded programs loss of siganl or anything.

the sky man i rang up who told me this said this can happen and it is usually a faulty signal 2 input on the back of the box and they replace the box if this is the case