1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Sky Installation...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Multiplex, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Multiplex

Multiplex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm moving into a new house...and was wondering if there would be any drawbacks in installing Sky+ in the shed...and then using video senders to transmit the signal to my living room?

It would save on lots of cable routing and would make one less box under the TV!

I've never used video senders before...would the picture and sound be unacceptable? Maybe this is a dumb idea....but i'd like to know :)

Simon.

2. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a pair of One for All Video Senders going from my Sky box downstairs to the bedroom upstairs. They also have an LED that you stick onto the sky box (or whatever) to control it. Works like a dream. PQ is as good as downstairs (from what I can see).

Not sure about going from a garden shed..Depends on the distance. But you wont be able to transmit Dolby Digital from your Sky + box using these senders. Maybe dig up the garden and lay a length of cable ;)

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Don't forget that the picture would be composite-only. Fine for a small TV in a bedroom, but get to 28" and above and the flaws start to show. Would also loose widescreen switching, if that's an issue for you.

4. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Another consideration is damp/condensation.
    Unless your shed is well insulated, this may cause problems - I certainly wouldn't want to store ANY a/v equipment in my shed!

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My shed gets boiling hot in summer and freezing cold in winter. Not good for reliability. And the ants and spiders get into everything.... !

6. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    ... I think all the signs are saying "dont put SKY in yer shed!"

7. luggsie

luggsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have used a video link to get to living room from SKY box in the bedroom for more than a year. Mostly fine unless:
    1. someone walks in front of the antenna, it then drops the picture
    2. the microwave oven next door can produce white lines on the picture (oddly, tends to happen at the same time each day, ie. meal times).
    3. anyone using WiFi on their computer could cause interference, though I dont think I have this problem (hard to tell without a WiFi laptop)
    3. The IR reverse link can get interference too and make the SKY box do very strainge things because of random signals coming from the IR emitter.

so check for a clear radio channel before installing

luggsie

8. luggsie

luggsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Forgot to mention range of RF links. These are fine for line of sight. Mine works on the slant through a standard wood floor with joists etc. plus about 10 m range but that's about its limit. It is totally blocked by one 9" brick wall at this range. So depending how far the shed is from the house you may need to install new windows in the house and shed, lined up with the antennas.

luggsie