1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange problems....... any ideas?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by buns, Dec 2, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In the last little while ive started to have a few problems with a previously problem free set up. I leave the pc on full time, running dscaler...... but recently i come back to it and it has rebooted in some shape of fashion. Sometime i can turn on the projector and im in the bios'y type bit..... other times i tun on and i get nothing at all, forcing me to have to power off. When i do get to that set up screen..... a number of times i have found it to say that my cpu settings are wrong causing hanging, yet it is set at exactly that of the processor.

Another weird one..... quite frequently i trun the projector on and i find that the screen area has shifted itself down to the right..... by about 18 inches! It isnt the projector since it hasnt moved..... so im rather stumped!

any ideas anyone..... this is really starting to pi** me off!

ad

2. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buns

What OS are you running?

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Buns, I may be the muppet here, but have you thought it might be a power outage while you're not looking? It could account for both probs, they both hate it when that happens!

4. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ad,

Try Water Cooling ;)

Steve

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im running XP home, so im not expecting any problems!

Im fairly sure power outage isnt the problem..... it would have to happen very frequentl if it was! And it still wouldnt explain why i get the strange screen area movement thing....

I cant afford anything more....... go water cooling is out for now! :D Could temperature be a genuine problem? It can get quite warm.....

ad

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It could be temperature, the picture moving thing is typical of an unexpected shutdown, don't ask me to explain it, it just happens! That's why I thought of power outage, it happens to my PJ when the kids stand on the plug when they hide behind the sofa in the scary bits, then re-emerge to see that guy get eaten on the toilet... We have the odd glitch in power from time to time here in commuter Surrey, is it better in the land of water cooling and litle people?

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well none of my other machines have a problem! Must be the heat in that case.....

so sound damping is going to be ripped out asap and see what happens...

ad

8. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's almost guaranteed to be a hardware fault, if on occasion you can't even get through the POST or into the BIOS then it has got nothing to do with the software.

Sound damping? hmm, never tried that. My PC suffers hugely if I leave it on too long (24 hrs). The whole damned thing will "die". I will get three or four minutes life and then it goes again. If I leave it unplugged for 48 hours (stress time for me!) it's ok.

I know it's the power supply getting too hot and shutting down. My resolution for it is to not have the PC on all the time. I could change the power supply but I can't be bothered. It's only PC and not HC.

9. Madman

Madman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've come across this with overheating. Search for some kind of hardware monitoring at www.download.com. Find something that writes to a log periodically, so when the PC comes up again, you can check what the CPU temp was when it powered down.

Martin