Strange problem with Youtube on my smart TV's

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I've noticed recently when using Youtube on more than one of my smart TV's it will allow me into the app, I can use all the menus and arrow keys as normal. But when I go into my history, or watchlist, it will bring up the thumbnails for the videos but not let me move across to select them. Its as if you right direction button is faulty, yet I know its not as it only happens on these screens and ive had the same issue on different TVs.

Ive tried reinstalling the app, but same result. Could it possibly be that someone else is watching youtube on my account on another device?

Any ideas I could try to fix it?

Thanks

Haven't found this problem on my Roku TV, it may be specific to the TVs you are trying on.

Youtube in particular is a common app to break on TVs after some time.

You could try factory resetting the TVs and if it doesn't help, well there's not much else you can do.

I'd suggest a chromecast/roku or similar to replace the built in smart TV.

They are different brand TV's and seems to have all started at the same time so I suspect its related to my account. I can still control it from my phone to play on TV so its not the end of the world, just slightly annoying

YouTube changed its strategy on smart TVs, instead of letting manufacturers develop their own apps to display YouTube on their TVs TV manufacturers instead now just link to a generic YouTube app that loads the same on each smart TV platform. In turn all each smart TV has to do now is make a request to YouTube and load up the app similar to when you visit YouTube on a web browser.

Problem is, running that generic YouTube app seems to work better on some TVs rather than others, on my Panasonic DX902 the YouTube app was always broken from day one as it never autoplayed to the next video. I gave up using its smart TV in favour of a designated Roku some time ago but heard recently in the owners thread the YouTube app has stopped working completely.

As time goes on, stupid bugs can develop because google update the YouTube app at their end, make it more demanding and they don't take into consideration that it may no longer work okay on older smart TVs. If they didn't update it at their end you wouldn't end up having an issue. In fairness, its not their responsibility and the problem is likely down to the TV manufacturer no longer supporting the TV and updating the software for it to work correctly, but that's another story for another day.

Hi folks

I've noticed recently when using Youtube on more than one of my smart TV's it will allow me into the app, I can use all the menus and arrow keys as normal. But when I go into my history, or watchlist, it will bring up the thumbnails for the videos but not let me move across to select them. Its as if you right direction button is faulty, yet I know its not as it only happens on these screens and ive had the same issue on different TVs.

Ive tried reinstalling the app, but same result. Could it possibly be that someone else is watching youtube on my account on another device?

Any ideas I could try to fix it?

Thanks

really weird...this has happened to me recently i have only just posted this on the 902 owners thread...i switched the set off, unplugged it, checked batteries...still the same problem...i wonder how we can solve this, wonder if its worth giving panasonic a ring. the updates for this once flagship have always been poor. this we only ever had 2 that i can think off. shouldnt have to buy sticks to make the apps work! annoying

I had it happen on a 14 year old Samsung then on a old Panasonic 12 year old set.
It has started asking for permissions now on a 4 year old LG i use before YT will run.

Using a xbox one is the best way out for it as the app in it auto updates and remembers my settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom