Strange problem with my Panny DMR-EH60D

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Logo Hater, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    When the new channels, such as Channel 4+1, were introduced recently on Freeview, and I had to do a rescan of the tuner, my EH60d has not been performing properly at all.

Up to the first of my many re-scans it was perfect and the EPG showed all the programmes for all channels for the coming 7 days, and always had done. I then performed the essential re-scan and the first thing I noticed was lots of the channels were now missing, so I performed the "Add new channels" scan, this added some but not all.

To cut a very long story short, I must have re-scanned at least ten times before I actually got all the available channels. However now the EPG only shows Now and next for today on some of the channels, but not all, and no other programmes at all. Even those keep disappearing.

The signal strenghth has been measured and is about as good as it's possible to get. The Freeview TV connected to the recorder through the same Aerial, scanned first time and is perfect. All the other TV's and Freeview boxes scanned perfectly first time, so signal strength is not the cause.

I am at a loss to understand what on earth could be causing this, it makes selecting programmes for recording so much more difficult.

I would be grateful if anyone knows how to solve this.:lease:

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    It might be retaining some previous tuning data.

Setting to Shipping Condition (in Setup/Others I assume in the EH60D) and then starting from scratch should solve it.

But before doing this it might be interesting to try disconnecting the aerial, performing a scan, then reconnecting the aerial and scanning again. Scanning without the aerial might be enough to clear the tuning data.

If neither of these work, the other thing to try is to unplug the mains lead, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in. And possibly combine this with setting to shipping condition afterwards.

3. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thank you, I will give that a try tomorrow, and let you know what happens.

4. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Nearly a 100% success.

I tried the return to factory settings and a re-scan, but that had limited success, some of the channels were missing and the guide, though better was still not right.

The next step was the most successful, I returned it to factory settings, then unplugged it from the electricity supply for 5 minutes. Plugged it back in and it automatically performed a re-scan. This succeeded in finding all the channels and the guide though not perfect has programmes for the next seven days. Not for every channel, some have gaps, but it is a tremendous improvement from what I had. Hopefuly the gaps will fill in over the coming days, then I will have everything I wanted.

I hadn't mentioned in my first post that the recorder had slowed down as well, the response from pressing a button on the remote till the action happening sometimes took up to 8 seconds. it is now back to virtualy instantanious, as it was before all this occured.

Many thanks Maldonian, your advice was spot on.

5. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    That's good. Thank you for reporting back.

I expect the EPG will repopulate eventually. I was surprised to find that the EX75's EPG seems to fully populate straight away. My Humax 8000T's EPG on the other hand populates very slowly after switching off and on, if you've got the patience you can watch the programmes gradually being added to it.

Disconnecting the power often works when microprocessor controlled equipment misbehaves. Perhaps I should have suggested you try it first, but there's no harm in returning to the factory condition.

6. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    It has now fully populated and seems to be working just fine.

I can't thank you enough for your suggestion, I had visions of all sorts of expensive repairs, when all it needed was unplugging and resetting. That's a great tip that I will remember for the future.:clap::clap::clap: