1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange problem with my new setup...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by t0by, Feb 23, 2005.

1. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi folks

I got my new components yesterday (PW7, AVR-2805, DVD-2900) but I am having problems with a continuous buzzing sound through all of my speakers (all 5.1 of them) when everything is turned on.

I have:
    Sky to Denon AVR-2805 via JS Labs RGB>YUV
    Denon DVD-2900 to Denon AVR-2805 via component
    Denon AVR-2805 to PW7 via component
    Kef eggs and Kef sub connected direct to AVR-2805

The buzzing is constant but, by a process of elimination, I have found that it stops completely if I disconnect the sub audio connection. I have tested the sub on a friend's system and it functions perfectly so I am sure that its not at fault.

Its all a bit weird and I don't have the expertise to work out what is wrong.

Any ideas... :lease:

Thanks.

2. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    try plugging the sub into the same wall socket/extension as your amp, this sometimes stops buzzing, have you checked all your speakers are wired right and the sub is plugged into the correct socket on amp

3. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks, thekingbeyond. Unforch, I have tried all of those things and I still have the problem. I am led to believe now that it may be an earth/ground problem so I am looking into that.

I'm still open to other suggestions though...!

4. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    Deja Vu - I had exactly the same problem a few years ago. I had just bought a kef 30b sub to add to my system (which included a denon amp) I did similar to yourself including taking the sub back to the shop (p'boro' hi fi) where it worked perfectly. It was also suggested to me that it might have been an earth/ground problem - but this was not the case.
    Here comes the bad bit - i'm b*ggered if I can remember how it was cured. I have a feeling it was the amp at fault in the end - a tripped cicuit or something caused by not turning the amp off at the mains when connecting up the sub. It may be worth taking your amp round your friends and seeing if it recreates the problem on his system - a lot of bother I know but worth it if it identifies the culprit.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am not technically minded,back in 1998 i paid professional installer hifidelity to install my system for me and we had the same problem,you probably find that it is an earth or ground loop problem,disconnect earth wire from one of your system,All the equipments are connected together anyway and will be protected.