1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange problem with Freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by esieens, Mar 9, 2005.

1. esieens

esieens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I have a humax pvr 8000T and I'm really happy with it. Now I think I have a problem with the freeview signal I'm getting. And would like to see if anybody else experienced something similar.

In the morning everything is fine - I have a strong signal - no problem. In the evening, I lose some of the channels, i.e. BBC channels are still ok but signal quality is so poor on ITV/C4/C5 channels that it is not watchable (anyway most of the time I get a black screen).

The first day it happened I thought it was just a problem with the emitter but it happens every night so I'm starting to think there is maybe something wrong with my cables or something similar..any idea?

2. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any chance that some electrical device in your home (or a neighbour's) is causing interference? Your heating system, perhaps? It seems odd that the problem occurs only in the evenings and so predictably.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    ....or a gammy streetlight. Really, anything electrical that's nearby, and that only comes on at the times you see the problem.

4. kersters

kersters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I also don't get the itv/ch4/ch5 on freeview. I was told by the TV guy that I need a different aerial (even though my aerial is new). All these channels are on the same multiplex and that particular multiplex seems to be filtered out by my aerial.
    However, your problem is day time related, so I guess the only way to find out what's going on is to monitor closely when the channles are available and when not and then figure out what could be behind it.
    Kersters

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You do need a new aerial, this is simply an atmospheric effect weakening the signal beyond usability. I've had this, have new aerial, all hunky dory now.

6. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    It could also be water ingress into you cable.

As the temperature drops, or rain falls, the water can cause specific frequencies to drop out.

7. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is correct you often find that the signal strength will drop in the evening slighthly.

I would recommend a new aerial. If your using a standard high gain aerial like the Blake DMX 10 or the Triax Unix 52 then I would suggest getting a DAT 45 or DAT 75. If you using a small 10 element aerial then the DMX or Unix should be fine.

If your connecting more than one TV to the aerial via a splitter then you need to change that to an amplifier.

I would also recommend upgrading the cable to CAI approved cable like CT100 or WF100 as this will give you a better signal and stop unwanted signals.