Strange problem missing channels

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by chumperchops, Feb 5, 2009.

1. chumperchops

chumperchops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heres a strange one,whilst at my parents house today my mam said that their sky kept crashing last night and froze on channel 5,I had a look and sure enough stuck on 5,so I unplugged from mains and removed card ,when powered back up and reinserting card found channel 4,c4+1,and channel 5 missing from lineup and BBC1 London BBC2 England and ITV1 central on screen,we are in the Highlands of Scotland and should have the Scottish versions of these channels,they do not subscribe to sky anymore and just use box as a freeview box. Anyone able to explain what has happened:lease:

2. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Yup, they are not subscribing to Sky and so revert to "standard" Free to Air Channels.

3. chumperchops

chumperchops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks for the input but they have not subscribed to sky since 3/4 years now and until yesterday had channel 4 and 5,also does not explain why BBC Scotland and STV are now BBC1 london.BBC 2 England and ITV 1 central:confused:

4. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Try re-inserting the viewing card.

5. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    The default channels on a Sky box without a card are those you are currently receiving i.e. BBC1 London/BBC2 England/ITV Central.
    I may be worth doing a forced download, then leaving the card in and , hopefully, it will update to the correct regions(could take up to 48 hours)

Sky Digibox software - forced downloads

If not, it may be worth contacting Sky (giving the viewing card number) they may be able to update it OTA - although I'm not sure what the position is with ex-subscription cards now.
    Having said that, I once bought a box, a few years ago, complete with card:eek: from Ireland which had BBC1 N.I. and Ulster TV enabled and they sorted that out

If all else fails obtaining a new freesatfromsky card (£19.57 once-only payment) direct from Sky would solve the problem as you would have to activate it upon receipt against your postcode.

Good luck

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009