Question Strange power issue

GrayT72

Novice Member
Reaction score
My parents have an older LG TV 47LM470 which all of a sudden turned off, then started doing some sort of power cycling, it would start up, the LG splash screen appears, then the power LED flashes rapidly 8 times, then a couple of seconds later the TV turns off, then the same thing happens again. I've tried power it off at the mains TNA.

However I also took my own bedroom TV (the same model) over and the same thing happened to mine when I plugged it in at their place. I originally thought I must have broken mine somehow during the trip. However the strange thing is that I've got home, plugged my TV back in here and it's working without fault! The only thing I can think of is that my parents power supply to their house is causing the issue in someway (possibly dirty supply).

Has anyone come across anything like this before?

What (if any) equipment do your parents have plugged into their TV? A set top box of some kind (Sky, Virgin Media, Youview) or is it just a terrestrial aerial?
It's unlikely to be a “dirty supply” here in the UK. On the off chance that there was a fault in the mains socket, did you try it in a different socket in another part of the house?
Your parents set was “Tripping”, it starts up, discovers a fault and shuts down, the cycle then repeats until the fault is cleared.

What (if any) equipment do your parents have plugged into their TV? A set top box of some kind (Sky, Virgin Media, Youview) or is it just a terrestrial aerial?
It's unlikely to be a “dirty supply” here in the UK. On the off chance that there was a fault in the mains socket, did you try it in a different socket in another part of the house?
Your parents set was “Tripping”, it starts up, discovers a fault and shuts down, the cycle then repeats until the fault is cleared.

No equipment other than an Amazon fire stick. I unplugged everything though. I understand what you are saying, however why would it explain my own set doing exactly the same thing at their house, but upon returning to my own place, my TV works without fault. It has to be something to do with the power. I tried both TVs in several sockets and even turned off the power at the consumer unit.

My parents have an older LG TV 47LM470 which all of a sudden turned off, then started doing some sort of power cycling, it would start up, the LG splash screen appears, then the power LED flashes rapidly 8 times, then a couple of seconds later the TV turns off, then the same thing happens again. I've tried power it off at the mains TNA.

However I also took my own bedroom TV (the same model) over and the same thing happened to mine when I plugged it in at their place. I originally thought I must have broken mine somehow during the trip. However the strange thing is that I've got home, plugged my TV back in here and it's working without fault! The only thing I can think of is that my parents power supply to their house is causing the issue in someway (possibly dirty supply).

Has anyone come across anything like this before?
It looks like you need an electrician to sort out the power supply socket. Try to get an extension lead and plug into a different socket for the TV. If it works then it is the problem of that socket.
Otherwise it is the whole line at fault. You can check that by plugging into a different power line. Check the switch board.

Last edited:
It looks like you need an electrician to sort out the power supply socket. Try to get an extension lead and plug into a different socket for the TV. If it works then it is the problem of that socket.
I'd already tried several different sockets at the house, but the same thing happened on both sets.

Try some sort of mains filter. Another appliance could be causing some sort of mains-based interference that the TV is objecting to.

Clem

I'd already tried several different sockets at the house, but the same thing happened on both sets.
Different sockets maybe all come from the same power line. Do you know how to check on different power line ?

No equipment other than an Amazon fire stick. I unplugged everything though

I've came across reports of these causing tripping...so, very important from your perspective, was the Firestick also plugged into your set when you tried it at your parents house?
Ask your parents to try their TV with and without the Firestick.

OK, just a bit of an update on the TV. I've been over to my parents place with a small UPS from work. Checked the two different socket circuits and tried the TV plugged in to a socket on each, both with the same result. I've then plugged the UPS into the two sockets and retested. Both again with the same results..... The TV just turns on, LG logo, power LED flashes 8 times, then restarts.
So I've brought the TV to my work, plugged it in there and it's absolutely fine. Had it on in the office for over an hour and no issues at all.
All testing has been performed with nothing plugged in to any of the back panel sockets other than an aerial or an HDMI cable to receive a picture.

Perhaps there’s an issue with the household supply voltage or phase. Is it only the LG that’s affected?

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom