1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange plasma noise.....Help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nathanf, May 3, 2005.

1. nathanf

nathanf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I finally got my pw5 set up this weekend. Im so happy with it!! :clap:

The only thing is, when there is a large amount of black on the screen it seems to make like a high frequency noise, its hard to explain.... Kinda like when a cd/dvd is being read by a drive. Its not a whirring sound but more like the sound the laser makes when reading.
    The more black area's on the screen the louder it is.

Its not unbearable or anything like that, its just wierd.
    I didnt think they made any noise.

2. JTR

JTR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Join the club - I have a Pioneer 434 and get a little irritated by a small screen buzz. By the sounds of this forum I am beginning to think that ALL plasma make some kind of background noise.
    For the money that we all have spent I believe that it is unacceptable but I think you are just going to have to live with it, the fan in the media box annoys me more !

JR

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    They do. When the gas lights up, it expands. Then it goes off and it contracts again. It does this many times a second, hence the slight buzz. The reason why plasma's can't be used above ~6000 feet is because the slight buzz becomes too loud :)

4. JTR

JTR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this serious - this is the first time that I have heard a proper reason for the buzz, whats with the 6000 ft, can you explain ?

5. nathanf

nathanf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

LMAO :D Seroiusly?

I take sollice in the fact that I am not the only one that gets this problem and my display isnt faulty. :)

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    My panasonic PWD6 is totally quiet at all times, unless I stick my ear on the grill at the back. I was under the impression the buzz in some plasmas was caused by cheap componants used in the power supply unit (or faulty design PSU)