strange picture

janey70

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi new here so bare with me :rolleyes: i have recently brought a new lcd tv which is great shows lovely picture untill i put the dvd on and i get sort of coulred shadowey lines moving across the screen i brought a new cheap dvd as well today and same thing is happening ! is there something im missing ? just want to watch a dvd on a nice screen lol thanks :lease:

hi new here so bare with me :rolleyes: i have recently brought a new lcd tv which is great shows lovely picture untill i put the dvd on and i get sort of coulred shadowey lines moving across the screen i brought a new cheap dvd as well today and same thing is happening ! is there something im missing ? just want to watch a dvd on a nice screen lol thanks :lease:
Does it go away if you pull out the aerial lead from the TV? The usual cause of this problem is that the video from the TV's internal tuner gets sent out of the same SCART socket that the DVD player is coming into. If you are using a cheap SCART lead, this video can crosstalk into the video from the DVD player, giving a moving ghost image of the off-air video superimposed into the picture from the DVD player.

The cure is to upgrade to a better quality SCART lead, one which uses fully screened video cables inside it. Or if you are feeling brave, you can open up the SCART plug at the TV end of the SCART lead and snip the wire going to pin 19, which isolates the off-air video from the lead, so it can't crosstalk into the DVD picture. There's a diagram here:

SCART Pinout Details

Be aware that pin 19 is actually the last actual pin on the row, the one labelled as pin 21 is the metal shield that fits right around the plug.

thanks for your reply i tried pulling ariel out of tv it made picture worse so put it back in its more like sadows going across do i need a newer scart lead mines a few years old at least ?

Hi,
To answer your last question first.....Yes,I would treat your new Tv to a new Scart lead.A good one wont cost the earth,say £10 for an Ixos which are more than good enough.
Does your Dvd player have any other connections,HDMI or Componant ? then use one of them (remember the componant will need the twin audio cables as well)
Just a thought,have you got the arial cable passing through the Dvd player en route to the Tv,'cos it doesnt need to be.If it is take that out of the circuit as it can cause problems.

Good Luck

KH

kh im confused after scart cable bit ! so ive copied featurs of it its just a basic dvd all i no im not a whizz or have much knowleage on all this stuff sorry Colour Silver
Model Number LEDVD0701
Number of Scart Sockets 1
Requires Scart Lead Yes
Dimensions (WxDxH in cm) H4.2 x W26.0 x D22.5 cm
Dolby Digital Compatible Yes
Remote Control Yes
Length of Parts Guarantee (Years) 1
Length of Labour Guarantee (Years 1 and my ariel just runs from wall to tv ???

Hello again,
Sorry to be a bit late with this reply,Ive been doing something else.

So,a Durabrand eh? That being the case, a new RGB scart is the first thing. As we suggested earlier,Google IXOS and pick one up online for less than a tenner. That £10 is for a 1.5metre cable so if your player is below your Tv then a 1M or even 0.75m will do very well.
Have a read of the manual and make sure (if the option exists)that the player scart connection is set to RGB ensure that you use the RGB scart on the Tv as well. keep the scart lead well away from any power leads they can and will cause interference.
If ive managed to confuse you again,there is a Forum member, Fiona A, who
has the same player and suffered similar problems earlier in the year.drop her a Pm and see how she got on.

Good Luck,

KH

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom