1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange picture effect on DVD25

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pullman, Sep 3, 2003.

1. pullman

pullman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have upgraded my Harman Kardon DVD 25 with the Apache hack that gives region freedom and PAL prog scan.

Since then (at least I think so) I have been noticing that when the image gets really white, such as during explosions or for instance during the movie "Pi" in which there are several very light sequences, a strange black "zigzag" pattern appears in the top right corner, stretching towards the other side of the screen.

Has anybody else experienced this? What is it? Can it be cured? Is it really the DVD or is it my Tosh 32ZD26, which has been strange since day 1?

I hope you can help,
    pullman

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    It's probably the Tosh. Pop over to the Telly forum on this site to find out about all the woes of CRT telly ownership. :(

3. Sharring

Sharring
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not something Ive noticed on my DVD25 (I have the Apache firmware) so maybe your TV is at fault.

One thing i have noticed is the angle icon appears briefly on some discs, but this has been mentioned elsewhere in these forums and I dont think its anything to do with the apache mod.

4. JFDI

JFDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not happening with my HK/Panny plasma combination either.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

:)

5. pullman

pullman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone. It could very well be my Tosh, which has been acting strangely since I got it. In the midst of trying to have it exchanged so hopefully that will sort it out.

Thanks again
    pullman

6. Poissony

Poissony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    pullman, I had the same problem and had the Tosh Gamecube modification done by Toshiba (see this thread)but the problem remained. This solved it though. Try this:

Adjust the contrast and brightness of the DVD25 via the ezmenu to about -8 (or you pause it on a scene where the distortion occurs and adjust until the distortion stops) and then compensate for this using your Tosh TV contrast, brightness settings and the distortion will hopefully disappear.

7. Hodger

Hodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had exactly the same symptom with my HK25 and Hitachi plasma.
    I changed to PAL60 in the DVD menu and all is well!
    Not sure if you will get the same results with your set-up but hope it helps.

Rob