STRANGE OCCOUANCE> HELP!!!

Paulyd1983

Novice Member
Reaction score
The Scenario

My equipment’s configuration/ Connections are set up as follows:

I have a standard Pacific DVD player which connects directly to the television via a scart lead.

I have linked the audio from the televisions display to my Hi-Fi system as follows. The audio is transferred from my television to my Hi-Fi via the usage of the televisions headphone connection jack. This then links directly on the other end of the lead directly into the hi-fi systems audio in connectors, (left and right).

Lately the following thing is re-occurring leaving myself totally baffled as to why this would even occur.

This is the exact setup of the devices when the issue is occurring:

The television is powered off and in standby mode. The stereo headphone jack which connects to the t.v to my Hi-Fi system when needed is not at the time of this occurrence even connected. It’s in fact plugged in to my iPods connection jack.

When the DVD player is powered on, (with the television still remaining in standby mode) and the media inside the DVD player loads and begins automatically playing. The audio is clearly heard coming through the Hi-Fi systems speakers, (reasonably loud I additionally add).

How is this possibly happening? As no connection between the DVD player and Hi-Fi System is present what so ever. Or in fact between the television and the Hi-Fi system at the time of this occurring.

Please any one reading this with any explanation to these events. Do reply and let me know. My heads done in trying to reach the rational explanation behind the matters. It to me seems totally illogical for this to be happening.

Greatly appreciated Paul…..

If it's that loud and clear then the most likely explanation is that the cable tangle doesn't go where you think it goes and you have left a wire connected between the TV and hi-fi.

If you unplug all external leads other than power from the hi-fi then does the same thing happen?

The simplest answer is normally the correct one.

Ghosts mate, ghosts. Try playing a DVD featuring only living artists and see if the problem resolves itself.

Or possibly you have a set of cables coming from the audio out on the TV - which will be at line level, so probably louder than the attenuated headphone output and this is going live when the DVD player fires up.

If it's that loud and clear then the most likely explanation is that the cable tangle doesn't go where you think it goes and you have left a wire connected between the TV and hi-fi.

If you unplug all external leads other than power from the hi-fi then does the same thing happen?

Hi, thanks for your responce mate. However I am 100% certain that there are no connections other than the ones which I stated in the original thread. That would justr be silly of me if there were. lol...

The simplest answer is normally the correct one.

Ghosts mate, ghosts. Try playing a DVD featuring only living artists and see if the problem resolves itself.

Or possibly you have a set of cables coming from the audio out on the TV - which will be at line level, so probably louder than the attenuated headphone output and this is going live when the DVD player fires up.

Hi mate. lol. cheers for your responce.

See your with me. It just shouldn t be happening should it. But it is thou.

Not prepared to put it down to ghosts mind. If there were responsible for this occourring, they are that clever, there would of brought them selves back to life. Ha Ha!!!

Nd no. 100% certain there is no cable connection that I am un-aware of what so ever m8.

Hi, thanks for your responce mate. However I am 100% certain that there are no connections other than the ones which I stated in the original thread.

So the only thing plugged into the Hi-fi is the TV? No other devices that the TV might be transmitting sound via or the iPod could be streaming to?

If your hi-fi is a newer one then the iPod could be streaming to it directly.

Hi again. No mate. Thats what stranger, the tv isn t even connected to the hi-fi. The lead I use to connect the TV isnt even connected. Thats the one connected to the ipod.

Nd hi-fi dosent have any wireless connection capabilities. It is quite old now.

If it is exactly as you describe and there are no other connections from the DVD player to the Hi Fi, it is 'impossible'. Final check for me would be to unplug the TV. Maybe unplug the Scart from the DVD as well. Also why does it matter? Don't turn on the DVD whilst playing the iPod.

Suppose there are options I could do. Sounds like un-nessary hassle to my however mate.

and as for why does it matter. Because its totally un-explainable bud thats why. It shouldn t be occourring and I want to know the reason why it infact is.

If it was you in your home, wouldn't you want to know the cause behind it occourring?????

I'm not being rude by the way :)

I would want to find out so I would do as I said - start with nothing but the connection needed for the iPod and try it. Then add connections until it appears - if it does.

Also as I said if it is as you describe it is impossible. Except for the already mentioned ghosts.

Suppose there are options I could do. Sounds like un-nessary hassle to my however mate

This "hassle" suggested by outoftheknow should have been tried and answered before you decided to start an identical thread in the Tv forum.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom