• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Strange noise

antighsiothail

Hi all
I listen to internet radio a lot, Radio Paradise mainly. But I also listen to BBC Radio 2 through one of those usb tv sticks, signal comes from a nearby freeview transmitter.
Every now and then, can't say how far apart, the sound is interrupted by a buzzing noise that lasts for about 1(+) second. Happens on both the internet and the stick, this is on a pc with an Intel P4 cpu at 2.9ghz with 6 gb ram and various hdd's.
This doesn't happen to internet radio or the tuner on my Yamaha RX-V677, so it must be down to the pc. It's not a major issue but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas why it does this.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
So it only happens on Radio 2 through both iPlayer and Freeview but not Radio Paradise or any other listing you do that's long enough for it to be likely to show up?

antighsiothail

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I don't listen through iPlayer, on the avr I listen through the tuner ( I can also listen to internet radio on it). It happens only on the pc and then to any internet radio station. Also through freeview on the pc when listening to Radio 2. Just listening to Radio Paradise while writing this and it happened again, buzzing noise interrupting the sound.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
So is it basically a random buzzing noise that happens on your PC or are the other sound sources that don't exhibit this (youtube videos perhaps)?

What's the sound setup on your PC in terms of sound card, cables used and speakers?

antighsiothail

Hi Sorry for the delay. Setup is pretty bog standard. An MSI motherboard with integrated audio and graphics. A pair of Altec powered speakers plugged into the mobo line out port. Running Windows7 pro, use Streamwriter for internet radio and a program called Next PVR for the freeview through the usb tv stick.
I have a laptop sitting around doing not very much, so I think I'll plug the usb tv stick and the speakers into it and install the aforementioned programs on it and see what happens. If it doesn't do it at least I'll know it's something on the pc even if I don't know what it is! I'll get back in a couple or three days. Thanks for your time.

MacrosTheBlack

Sounds like it's a problem that's developed with your pc's audio output. If it's a pentium 4 cpu it must be a pretty old pc?!?! Ten years plus I reckon? Might be time to look into a replacement. Could get a much better spec pc quite cheaply on here in the classifieds.
You could check online and see if there's any bios updates for your PC and also any driver updates for whatever version of Windows you are running (hopefully not XP).

antighsiothail

Sorry my mistake it's not a P4 it's a Pentium G2020 in an MSI mainboard skt 1155. It was supplied a couple of years ago by insurance after a lightning strike took out my pc etc. I was starting to think it was something put out by the broadcasters to prevent recording!! As I say doesn't happen with the avr.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom