1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange noise - Rt hand speaker on PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Luis, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of my PV500B yesterday and it looks fantastic. However there is something I am concerned about:

Upon setting the screen up I've noticed that there is a slightly strange noise coming from the right hand side speaker. I can only really describe it as a whistly noise. It's not too noticeable when the volume is up but if I'm watching on low volume or no volume at all then it is very noticeable and intrusive. The same noise cannot be heard coming from the left hand speaker. I'm a bit concerned by this.

Has anybody here come across such an issue before?

I've emailed my query to Panasonic

2. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you connect external powered speakers via the low level AV outputs or even headphones, can you still hear the problem? That might let anybody trying to help you know if it's real signal on the right channel amplifier, or pickup interference from the pre-amplifiers. There's a lot of digits flying around and emc from the plasma display itself, so it could be a pickup or amp instability problem. Put the treble preset levels to maximumum when you do the tests.

3. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi voxmagna,

I don't have an amp conencted at present, and I disconnected the DVD to get an idea of what was causing the noice. It's definitely the TV itself. I did try headphones and the souns was not present. So it does seem to be an issue within the speaker itself

Very annoying

4. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least you've got it under warranty, but it's still a pain. If you have just taken delivery and bought over the net, don't waste time emailing Panasonic if you are dead sure of the fault (make sure you disconnect everything, even the aerial and check for the fault on inputs with nothing connected) as you will get help but your clock to return under selling rules is ticking away (10-14 days I think).

Manufacturers can cover the emc issue in different ways. My Pio for example comes with a mains lead and a ferrite suppressor (like on PC's) which you assemble round the end of the mains lead as close to the panel as possible.

Put the problem once you are sure, squarely in the dealers court with an email and recorded delivery copy letter.

Your problem doesn't sound like a huge big fault and you could just be unlucky, so play it through with your dealer, ask for a fault report and let the Forum know what was done.

5. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your advice,

I only took delivery yesterday and have already emailed the seller this morning. They were very helpful with all the queries I had regarding the screen so hopefully their aftersales service will be just as good

Indeed it is a minor fault, but when you spend 2k on a TV you want it to be perfect, y'know? ;)

Will keep you updated!

6. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    who did you buy it from?

7. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought it from letsgodigital.co.uk (who have givenme fantastic service thus far btw)

I emailed them today and they have responded giveing me suggestions of things to try and if all else fails they say they are happy to replace it. So I'm happy :)