• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Strange noise from pc

itsmynewname

Established Member
For a while now when my pc is running a task that I'm guessing is using a bit of resources it starts making a right buzzing/shinning type of noise. Say like I'm using a video converter to do a film from mkv to xvid etc it really goes on one. Soon as I stop and its not under load the noise goes. It's an I5 processor and has 4gb of good ram so anyone got any ideas what it could be or how to even find out?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It's not just the CPU fan spinning up to compensate for the extra heat?

Funny noises (especially whining type noises) are often a power supply issue. Although it's more common on things like monitors, what make and model is your PC's power supply?

Last edited:

brookheather

Distinguished Member
Most likely to be the PSU - is it a good quality one or did it come with the PC? If it bothers you then you may want to look at buying a new quality PSU.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Powercool PSUs aren't brilliant so that's definitely a candidate. Quite difficult to test though, does the noise get louder if you put your ear next to it?

goodvino

Standard Member
check this video

I wouldnt worry about it exploding point is its a capacitor in motherboard/gpu/psu

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom