1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange noise from DLP...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cj, Sep 16, 2004.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    My DLP has just started making a noise which I can only describe as like a "distant buzz-saw sawing wood" - it's not very loud but it wasn't there before - any ideas?

Thanks,

Colin

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hmm .. that sort of sound can come from a fan with worn bearings, fans on older PCs often exhibit a sound such as you seem to describe.

One way to try to diagnose it, if the fans are accessible is to use the blunt end of a throw-away type ball-point pen and push gently on the revolving central hub to slow the fan .. if the sound stops of changes pitch you'll know that's the problem.

OTOH, it could also be the colour wheel I guess.

If it's not a bearing problem then it's hard to think of anything electronic that 'buzzes' except perhaps the power supply. I've known PSUs make a noise like this due to the laminations of the transformer vibrating .. not sure if modern PSUs have transformers though.

3. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If the buzzing starts as soon as the PJ is turned on? lf so, probably a fan.

If only once a picture appears its the colour wheel.