1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange network/share problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by probedb, Oct 13, 2005.

1. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Hi all,

Got a very weird problem on my HTPC. Occasionally when I play video files, either on a double-click or once they've loaded into MPC, explorer.exe crashes. The vid plays but explorer has to reload itself. This doesn't happen on every file and appears completely random.

The shares in question are both linux samba share and normal PC shares. The odd thing is that it only happens on video files or at least it appears that way.

HTPC spec in my sig. Any ideas? It's driving me nuts. Have tried disabling the XP firewall to no avail.

Cheers!!

paul.

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    not a suggestion as to the cause of the problem, but re-applying SP2 might well sort out explorer.exe if something has upset it..

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    It's the newer version that comes with SP2 installed so not sure it would be happy with me installing that over the top?

I assumed before I had a bad install so I rebuilt and I still have the problem :( Log files just tell me what I know that explorer.exe faulted and crashed.

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    there shouldn't be an issue with re-applying SP2, it should just let you re-run it without any problems.

First step for any OS related trouble is always re-apply the latest service pack, that's historically the Official MS linr too, and it's certainly wprked plenty of times for me personally.

I always re-apply SP2 on my machines after installing any software of any description..
    If your OS came with SP2 pre-installed, it's possible that apps you have installed after the OS may have changed some windows bits & pieces... theoretically SP2 should protect all the core components from this happening, but unsuprisingly it doesn't..:rolleyes: