Strange network problems after adding PS3

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by SPARTAN086 Mike, Sep 1, 2007.

1. SPARTAN086 Mike

SPARTAN086 Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey all,

I've been experiencing some annoying network problems, and I think my PS3 may be to blame as I have only started experiencing them after trying to add my PS3 to the network today.

The problem I am having is that certain websites that I could access before now do not load, i.e in my internet browser on the PC I get the "could not connect to server" error and on the PS3 I see a "network failure" text screen.

This seems to have happened after I tried to register to the Playstation Network through my PS3, as when I was submitting my details I got a "could not connect to server" error.

When I went back onto my PC I noticed that certain websites were not loading, and after trying the PS3 browser the problem is also present there. I have ran the PS3 connection test which does not list any problems, I am really confused.

My PS3 is on a wired connection, I have the PS3, Xbox 360 , My PC and a secondary PC connected through an ethernet switch to my BT Voyager 220v router. Can anyone help me out?

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there.

In the first instance I'd try some basic trouble shooting:

1. Try pinging the relevant websites to see what's happening at that level.

The quickest way to do this is to bring up a command prompt (in XP, Start, Run, then enter "cmd" (without the apostrophes and hit return)) and use the command

Code:
    ping website
    where website is the name of the site concerned, eg:

Code:
    ping www.google.co.uk

would return something that looks as follows:
    Code:
    Pinging www.l.google.com [209.85.165.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.85.165.147: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=240
    Reply from 209.85.165.147: bytes=32 time=297ms TTL=240
    Reply from 209.85.165.147: bytes=32 time=168ms TTL=240
    Reply from 209.85.165.147: bytes=32 time=334ms TTL=240

Ping statistics for 209.85.165.147:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 118ms, Maximum = 334ms, Average = 229ms
    This tells you that your PC can:

1. Work out the IP address of the website from the name supplied.
    2. Contact the machine hosting that particular web server.

If you have a website that is consistently failing, try it on the other machine and repeat the ping to see what happens there.

If you can access the admin pages in your Router, it's worth checking to see what IP addresses have been assigned to the various machines in your network. They shouldn't clash and they should all be unique. If your router is handing out IP addresses automatically via DHCP then this should be okay, but it's worth checking.

If certain websites are failing consistently, then your ISPs DNS servers may be experiencing a problem. If that's the case, you might want to consider configuring your router to use a different set of DNS servers. One free option is OpenDNS (instructions for routers are here).

Try this out and let us know how you got on.

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Make sure you can ping everything on local network first, "ping -t" then the ip address make sure nothing is dropping any packets (request time out).

4. SPARTAN086 Mike

SPARTAN086 Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the help guys, I decided to look at the connection properties to set manual details to see if that would do anything (followed a guide). After trying this the internet didn't work, so I put it back to what it was (auto) and mysteriously everythings working fine now? :eek: