Strange MultiRoom/HDMI problem

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by eob, Jan 5, 2012.

1. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Hi all,

got an engineer booked for this issue but thought I'd post here to see if anyone had experienced similar.

Recently had multiroom installed and replaced our HD box with a 1Tb box so that we could use the old box as the multi room.

I generally play Xbox in the evening when my wife and kids have gone to bed but over the holidays, this issue has been noticed because there has been someone watching the main box.

When I disconnect the HDMI in the multiroom to connect the xbox, the main box loses its signal. The picture is restored as soon as the Multiroom HDMI is reconnected.

I suspect that the multiroom box is somehow controlling the LNB and have checked this by removing both feed connections while the HDMI is connected then removing the HDMI. In this instance, the signal on the main box is not lost immediately but the picture becomes 'blocky' and stutters. This continues for about 10 minutes before the signal goes completely.

I have tried accessing the engineers menu and switching the LNB power off and on but it does not make any difference.

The signal is only restored by reconnecting the multiroom completely.

I'm hoping that the multiroom box box is not on its way out!

Anyone had similar?
    Cheers,
    Ed.

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    There have been one or two reports of the LNB's outputs affecting each other.
    Two points arise - it would be better to find an alternative method of connecting the two devices to the extension TV's HDMI socket rather than alternately connecting and disconnecting the two - and if the "feed connections" are the f-plugs to the Sky machine's Sat sockets you should fully power off the machine before doing anything to them.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  3. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    Essential info in this forum - what make and model of multiroom box? (On back panel or underside on white sticky label).

4. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    The Multiroom box is a PACE TDS850NB 300Gb
    and the new main box is an Amstrad DRX895-C 1Tb

I agree that I need a better way of connecting the two devices to the LCD as it is a PITA to swap them over, I'll need to look at some sort of HDMI switch.

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Although they call the 895 a 1tB, it's actually a 1.5tB, whereas the Pace is what it says it is.:)
    HDMI switching can be erratic, but you should be OK with a two-in-one-out version.

6. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Had Sky Engineer out on Saturday.
    He said it was an earthing problem with the LNB and repaced it. Hopefully that will be it sorted now.