Strange MS-Dos type screen on boot and shutdown.

m1stergeorge

Hi Guys,

I've been experiencing a slight issue with my 21.5" iMac recently and can safely say it has only happened since the upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Around 1 out of ever 4 boots(ie once, maybe twice a week), the iMac goes to a funny looking MS-DOS type screen and will usually show the same thing when it shuts down (only shows on shut down if it did it on startup). I've linked a couple of photos (they wouldn't attach) to try and give you an idea, has anyone come across this before?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hj6a0pakakuo7ei/Photo 27-08-2012 12 34 55 (HDR).jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hj6a0pakakuo7ei/Photo 27-08-2012 12 34 55 (HDR).jpg

Many thanks.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Looks as though the Mac is booting up into verbose or single user mode? Are you pressing any of the keys on the keyboard during start up? Have you installed anything such as Applejack or Mountain Lion Cache Cleaner onto your Mac?

Have you altered anything via terminal in reference to verbose mode such as instructing your Mac to always boot into this mode? If so then you can turn this off via entering this command in terminal:

Code:
sudo nvram boot-args=

Last edited:

m1stergeorge

I"m gonna have to Google Verbose mode I'm afraid!

In answer to the question though, no, nothing is near the keyboard upon bootup. Other than that, there's been nothing installed on the machine since the ML upgrade.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Another tip I've read suggests you go into system preferences and reselect your preferred start up disk even if already selected and then restary your Mac. This apparently rectifies the issue?

hutch

Distinguished Member
I've had that a couple of times as well

SUMMONER

If you can get to the Mac OS desktop, run Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD on the left and click repair disk on the bottom right.

If you can only get to the command prompt, enter fsck -y and press Enter. This will check for and try to fix problems on the hard drive.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: