1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange moving shadow on screen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by deepblue2uk, Apr 16, 2004.

1. deepblue2uk

deepblue2uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys i have a panny 42" PA20 which is superb and i have no problem with terstrial or sky+ however i also pucased a panny scht900 dvd system.

The problem i have noticed is when playing a dvd i can see a horizontal band float down the screen like a shadow, it is there when the dvd is paused or on menu. I also get some interference when i press the chapter skip button.

Generally the picture is fine but occasionaly i notice this horizontal shadow and i then cannot stop looking for it. I am using component cables (Not the best make i might add) and i have also tried using the rgb scart but see the same effect.

I have heard of problems with earthing or something or do i need new cables.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers Lee

2. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Hi Lee,

You have nearly the same setup as me and I have the same problem. I raised it here...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105920

Does this describe what you are seeing too ?

It seems that the problem might be a hum-bar. I think that is something that is introduced by noise/pickup from something else..... hardware/cable etc.

I havent had much chance to play around with the setup, but I suspect it is going to be something to do with the bog-standard mains cables/four-ways that im using.

Im just hoping that it is not the dvd player that is to blame as we both have the same one

3. deepblue2uk

deepblue2uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate, its sounds exactly the same. I have a 4 way extension that everything is plugged into. I too hope its not the DVD system because its great apart from this phenomina. I will be playing around with my system this weekend so i will try different leads, plugs etc. I doubt i will get anywhere but i will give it a go.

There must be a few others that have found a cure for this.

I have posted this in the all in one section but its pretty quiet in there.

4. deepblue2uk

deepblue2uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. deepblue2uk

deepblue2uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No luck as yet i have disconnected everything and leaving only the dvd player and the plasma on i get the hum bar when playing any type of disk. I have tried using different electrical sockets, different cables scart RGB and component.

I removed the dreaded ariel lead with no effect.

I cannot watch a dvd now because when i spot the bar scrolling down the screen it becomes more pronounced and i just follow it instead of the movie.

I will give Panasonic a bell on Monday and see if they have had problems with this model of dvd player before as i am plumb out of ideas

HELP!!!.

6. LCD Man

LCD Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried removing the earth from the dvd players plug?

Try it, if it works it's an earth loop problem, Panasonic TV always have some kind of earth loop/tuner breakthrough problem.

7. deepblue2uk

deepblue2uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried that, though it worked for all of 5 mins but then i spotted it and i thought bugger.

I just plugged in my old dvd player and have no hum bar with that so its got to be the panny all in one sytem that is causing the issue not the screen. I suppose i will have to call an engineer out.