Strange marks on the top my BK Sub

Reaction score
Evening,

Tonight i was cleaning the top of my BK XLS400 when i noticed some strange marks on the top. I thought it was dust/dirt at first but after cleaning it, it seems something has burned through the finish :thumbsdow

Not impressed, i cant see what it could of been though as the only things on top of it, were a plug in air freshner, a xbox controller and a logitech harmony one remote docking station.

Pics attached, any ideas? :mad:

Attachments

• IMG-20120905-WA0001 (1).jpg
    IMG-20120905-WA0001 (1).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG-20120905-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20120905-WA0001.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG-20120905-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20120905-WA0002.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 179
I put money on it being the air freshner.

My wife said the same, the air fresher has black paint/sticky residue on the underside as if it had melted the surface, BUT a plug in dont get that hot surely?

JFRTDI said:
My wife said the same, the air fresher has black paint/sticky residue on the underside as if it had melted the surface, BUT a plug in dont get that hot surely?

It's not necessarily the heat, it could well be because of the chemical content. You'll find that for example some car air freshners somehow manage to strip some plastic finishes inside the car...

It's not necessarily the heat, it could well be because of the chemical content. You'll find that for example some car air freshners somehow manage to strip some plastic finishes inside the car...

Have just read up about air freshers melting plastic and it proves to be correct what your saying. :mad:

£"%$% ^$%$% :mad:

Am I the only one that hates plug in air freshners?

MI55ION said:
Am I the only one that hates plug in air freshners?

No .............
I hate them with a passion, always have done, even prior to their sub eating antics. That's just an add on to hate them more!!

Even more reason for me to get a glass top for mine quick!

Have sent them an email detailing the story and what happened. I believe it is Proctor and Gamble who are the owners of these so hopefully ill get a response, i doubt anything is going to be done though. Just now left with 3 horrible marks on the top, bloody took me long enough to save to get it !!! Grrrrr

It might be worth contacting Tom at BK, confessing your sins :( and asking if there is anything they can do to help.

IronGiant said:
It might be worth contacting Tom at BK, confessing your sins :( and asking if there is anything they can do to help.

Good shout. Might give that a shot. Is the email on bk site

So....

I emailed proctor and gamble with my complaint. They emailee back and requested i ring them to tell them more which i did. We went over what happened again and how i cleaned it afterwards.

The women i spoke to said she will escalate this case to the relevant department but it sounds like accidental damage and nothing may get done but take pictures, keep the plugin etc and if possible speak to BK to find out costs involved in repairing the damage.

So i proceeded to ring BK, explained the problem and she said i would be looking at approx £30 carriage costs and then £100 to replace the casing/box. She did say if it was a gloss finish then add approx £50 on top of that.

So i rang proctor and gamble back, told them the costs and the lady i spoke to said "are you going to keep the subwoofer" odd question i thought but said yes i will keep it regardless, hopefully you will cover the costs of repairs for me but if not i would have to cover it myself to which she replied i cant see it being a problem.

Wont get my hopes up but she said they will ring me in due course so fingers crossed.

So far though, pleasently surprised at their responses and also cost involved in replacing the bk casing/box.

If things don't work out it might be worth pricing a piece of smoked cut glass.

:thumbsup: I'll keep my fingers crossed :smashin:

Wee update on this.

They have rang me today, started the conversation by saying we have spoke to our technical team and they have told us that the product package states the product should not be placed near such items as etc etc etc then the phone lost signal and went off. So i assume what they wanted to tell me was basically jog on we aint paying to fix it.

However, im pretty sure the product does not state such things on its packet although i could be wrong, so i will revisit the shop where i purchased one and have another look to see if it does.

Dont let them fob you off mate....at the end of the day these air fresheners have to be put somewhere in a home....

how do you suggest i go back at them?

I checked the packet out and it states all the do's and don'ts inside the packet? i mean who opens up the packet and checks? shouldnt it be visible on the outside rather then hidden away :s

how do you suggest i go back at them?

I checked the packet out and it states all the do's and don'ts inside the packet? i mean who opens up the packet and checks? shouldnt it be visible on the outside rather then hidden away :s

call citizens advice direct, its free and they can advise you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom